Partial plug-in solution for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Partial plug-in solution for TCH

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Rick,

Yes, it is a Toyota part. I purchased it from my dealer for approximately $40.00

The dealer's order for my block heater (September, 2008) listed "Part number / description" as: 00213-00900 block heater.

The box it came in (form Toyota Canada Inc.) shows the number, PU140-00900.

I installed it myself using GREAT instructions (with pictures) posted here by Squint:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...uctions-12841/

Some have posted here that they have had theirs installed by the dealer. And many in cold climates apparently already have it installed in their TCH when they take delivery; so, I can't imagine that there could be a warranty problem.

I agree with many who think that regular use of a block heater should reduce engine wear and increase engine life.
I would be pleased to post any additional info anyone would like.

AAAAAAAAAAAAnd........... I am still looking for the rest of the solution; i.e., a way to put a modest overnight charge onto the traction battery.

Any electrical engineers out there with a solution ?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

Hello

What is the power of this heater?

I am asking this because I am thinking of some way to connect it to the car battery, 5 minutes before I leave home.... especially on those cold winter days where the temperature goes to -5°C

I donīt have a parking place for my car so, if possible, I would connect the cable to a transformer to connect it to the 12v battery of the car...

What do you think?

opinions welcome!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gvrv
Hello

I am asking this because I am thinking of some way to connect it to the car battery, 5 minutes before I leave home.... especially on those cold winter days where the temperature goes to -5°C

I donīt have a parking place for my car so, if possible, I would connect the cable to a transformer to connect it to the 12v battery of the car...

What do you think?

opinions welcome!
The heater as ~400 watts, and to be useful requires 2+ hours to heat up the coolant around the heater. (your electric kettle in the kitchen is ~1000 watts warming up ~6cups of water, and that takes 3-5 minutes in a warm room...)

Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by gvrv
Hello

What do you think?

opinions welcome!
Originally Posted by BOFH
The heater as ~400 watts, and to be useful requires 2+ hours to heat up the coolant around the heater. (your electric kettle in the kitchen is ~1000 watts warming up ~6cups of water, and that takes 3-5 minutes in a warm room...)

I confirm the 400 watts.

And I agree that it can take 2+ hours to get the complete warm-up effect (possibly depending on outside temperature).

But i will add that the warm-up is an effect with diminishing returns; i.e., i get as much warm-up effect in the first half hour as in the following 2 hours. I get the majority of the warm-up effect (in terms of fuel savings) in 45 min to 1 hour, and 1.5 hours is usually long enough to warm up to about one gauge mark shy of normal operating temperature.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
I confirm the 400 watts.

And I agree that it can take 2+ hours to get the complete warm-up effect (possibly depending on outside temperature).

But i will add that the warm-up is an effect with diminishing returns; i.e., i get as much warm-up effect in the first half hour as in the following 2 hours. I get the majority of the warm-up effect (in terms of fuel savings) in 45 min to 1 hour, and 1.5 hours is usually long enough to warm up to about one gauge mark shy of normal operating temperature.

Oh it very much depends on outside temps. We were at -30 for weeks on end through the winter. Set the timer to run for ~3 hrs and it helped but with that much cold all around it still didn't move the temp gauge, but the ICE did warm up much faster for being plugged in.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I used the block heater daily during the cold winter months, usually 2 1/2 to 3 hours before using the car. I used it only up to 1 1/2 hour when the temp was in the 70's. In the 80's I was down to a half hour. I found when the temperature is in the 90's the block heater is not really needed. With a hot day like that the TCH engine heats up to normal in a quarter mile.

I forgot to mention were day sleepers and don't drive off till 3 to 6 pm.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-16-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I used the block heater daily during the cold winter months, usually 2 1/2 to 3 hours before using the car. I used it only up to 1 1/2 hour when the temp was in the 70's. In the 80's I was down to a half hour. I found when the temperature is in the 90's the block heater is not really needed. With a hot day like that the TCH engine heats up to normal in a quarter mile.

pm.

I'm fairly new to the block heater game. Jimmy has a lot longer experience with this than do I. (In fact, his happy experience, as posted here, was a major factor in my decision to go with the block heater.)

And: My experience, so far, has been consistent with this post re. shorter warm-up times being required with higher outside temperatures.

But: With outside temperatures now in the 80's, I still find a significant fuel saving benefit, in spite of the fact that the engine may now be fully warmed up in even less than a quarter mile.

I expect this benefit to still be obtainable when outside temperatures approach 100 degrees F.

By July I expect to post on this, one way or the other.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 AM

Jack, about 5 pm when I started the car I paid particular attention to the engine temperature on the scan gauge. The engine read 78 degrees while the outside temperature on the mfd read 84.

It's been warm here, usually into the low 90's. A slight cool front moved in and I forgot to use the block heater. If I had I might have had the engine up to around 100 degrees at crank up.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
Jack, about 5 pm when I started the car I paid particular attention to the engine temperature on the scan gauge. The engine read 78 degrees while the outside temperature on the mfd read 84.

It's been warm here, usually into the low 90's. A slight cool front moved in and I forgot to use the block heater. If I had I might have had the engine up to around 100 degrees at crank up.
Jimmy,

I'm puzzled. I think that the block heater should make your engine temp a lot higher.

I do not have a way to make a digital temperature readout on the engine temperature, but with morning outdoor temperatures here in the 80's, my block heater brings the temp gauge all the way up to normal operating temp (190 F ?).

At 78 degrees, your temperature gauge should probably have been at the cold end of the scale. Did you observe the gauge ?

What gives?

Jack

Old 05-18-2009, 12:55 PM

If I left block heater on longer, then it would have given me a higher reading. I find even if it heats to 1/4 scale the engine usually heats up quickly within 1/8th, mile this time of year.

The idea of a warm engine is so the spark plugs can burn clean. Back in the '60's spark plugs had to reach 180 degrees in most cars to run efficiently. Not so with today's superior high energy ignitions and iridium plugs. I forgot to mention, modern fuel injection, all controlled by a computer.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-18-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Partial plug-in solution for TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands