P0A80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack - 2007 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast
Question P0A80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack - 2007 TCH

Dealer Diagnostic Report
I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with just over 101,000 miles. My car sat for two weeks without starting and driving and the car started displaying error messages and lights on the dashboard. I have "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" and "CHECK VSC SYSTEM" error messages displaying. The orange Malfunction Indicator Lamp (check engine light), orange Skid Indicator Light (car icon with two wavy tire tracks), orange Brake System Warning Light (parenthesis surrounding a circle with an exclamation point in the circle), and red Master Warning Light (solid triangle with an exclamation point in it) error lights are all on. In addition, the fan behind the back seat comes on shortly after the car starts and stays on.

I hoping that the problem was just the 12V battery, so I bought a new OEM 12V battery from a Toyota dealer and installed it myself. That new 12V battery didn't change anything. After more researching on GreenHybrid and other places on the Internet, I went to a Toyota dealer to have my codes read. This is what the dealer wrote on my paperwork:

"Performed diagnosis on check engine light and battery light. Vehicle needs a hybrid battery. Found codes P0A80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack, P3020 - Battery Block 10 Becomes Weak and P3021 - Battery Block 11 Becomes Weak. Quote to replace high voltage hybrid battery - $3,974.12 plus tax."

The dealer also gave me a diagnosis report with a lot of technical data which I will attach a photo of. As far as I can tell, the report information is consistent with the above diagnosis. It lists the P0A80, P3020, and P3021 codes and Battery Block Vol -V10 at 13.16V while the other Battery Block Vol values are between 14.66V and 15.14V.

Here's my questions for the knowledgeable people here:

1. Is there any other repair option I should explore before replacing the high voltage hybrid battery with a new one for $4,000? I like this car and plan to keep it for at least five more years. Research here at GreenHybrid and on the Internet seems to indicate that replacing a few battery cells or installing a rebuilt battery is only a temporary solution that might last a few years at best.

2. Does $4,000 seem like a fair price for a new battery installed by a Toyota dealer?

3. Do I have any chance of getting Toyota corporate headquarters to cover some of the $4,000 repair cost? I live in Pennsylvania, a CARB state. My understanding is that the Toyota Hybrid Warranty in a CARB state is 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. My 2007 car with just over 101,000 miles is well under the mileage limit but over the time limit by three years.

4. If my chance of getting Toyota help is not zero percent, how should I present my situation and approach Toyota corporate headquarters for the greatest chances of success? I was thinking to tell them I am a loyal Toyota customer who has purchased four Camrys and had them serviced often at Toyota dealers. Then I would say I am disappointed in this situation as I did not expect a $4,000 repair at just 100,000 miles given Toyota's reputation for reliability.

Any other helpful advice would be welcome too! Thank you in advance!