Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

I'm not a lawer but if you own both versions of software and you don't break copy protection (and I know ver 5.1 is not copy protected) there is nothing illegal about making a copy of software for your own use, as a matter of fact there used to be a law giving consumer such a right to a back up copy. Also putting data from 2 discs is hardly a hacking the software since we are not changing one bit of code, we simply stopping the system from updating the firmware, but letting it update the data.
Actually come to think of it we all should be getting free software update in the first year under warranty, just like we can get new brake shims, because old one squeeks. I don't understand why we are not getting new software update which fixes some old outdated data, since we own the cars for less than 6 months??? Can somebody explain to me why this updated software doesn't fall under warranty repair ??? Maybe we just need to voice our opinions a little louder to be heard?

Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
If you legally own both versions of the software...
It's yours and you can do as you please....
Actually you don't "own" the software unless you have the source code in escrow but that aside you actually purchase a LICENSE and are bound by the terms of that license when you agree to the EULA?
Others have blatently suggested violating the license.
Personally I don't give a rats behind. I have no reason to look up addresses and phone numbers while zigzagging down the freeway.
Those who say their passenger will do the actual NAV operating are, well you know, the exception.
J

Old 10-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

I tried holding the info button and turning the lights on and off 3 times (parking lights only -not the ceiling light!!) and got to the diagnosis screens!!

Now the bad news- there is no (obvious) way to override the darn thing. I'd include images of the screens if I knew how.

On a legal /moral note it seems to me that if I have purchased a vehicle, it is up to me how to use it and not Toyota /Lexus. Their hubris to disable the override (if true) is worse than discouraging.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by sandy eggo
On a legal /moral note it seems to me that if I have purchased a vehicle, it is up to me how to use it and not Toyota /Lexus. Their hubris to disable the override (if true) is worse than discouraging.
Would you want an ability to defeat the ABS, Traction Control System, Airbags etc. I think at least some of this is a result of the out of control Tort legal system.
J

Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM

Actually I'm looking for ways to temporary disable traction control and ABS breaks, anybody knows how? I found some instructions that work for traction control on other Toyota cars but didn't have a chance to test on TCH. On some older cars you could disable ABS brakes if you hold the hand break, just enough to get the light on, for first few minuttes of driving, which would cause breaks error condition and disable ABS but I think TCH is too smart for this old trick.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Arrow Re: Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

There are online methods for disabling VDIM. However, it's about a 15-step procedure that you must repeat every time you restart the car, and overriding its benefits are doubtful if not foolish, except under limited circumstances by expert drivers.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
There are online methods for disabling VDIM. However, it's about a 15-step procedure that you must repeat every time you restart the car, and overriding its benefits are doubtful if not foolish, except under limited circumstances by expert drivers.
Exactly, I want to disable ABS and VDIM under special circumstances for limited time only, where online do I find it?

Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Maybe if you just drive in reverse all the time?
I KNOW that is a surefire way to get into EV mode.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Arrow Re: Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

Pete4, just do a google search for 'disable' and 'VDIM.' You will get a wealth of sources for this information. Remember that Lexus has been using VDIM for a couple of years now, so the disabling procedure is now well-documented.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Site Founder

Please do not advocate illegal activities such as piracy on GreenHybrid or I may be forced to close the thread. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Override for 6.1 version of the Nav system?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands