Over 40 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Over 40 mpg?

Originally Posted by coolshock1
My last tank was 41.5 calculated by hand. The current tank with 1\4 tank left is 42.6 per MFD. I don't think I am going to get much higher than that. Even at 41.5 I should be able to get 700 miles on the tank. The range should easily read over 600 miles and it never does. I know in my signature it says that my Lifetime AVG MPG is 36.8 but, not that it makes much of a difference, my Lifetime AVG per my records is 38.6. Even using an avg of 38.6 theoretically the tank should get 663 miles. The range reading should still be over 600. Heck with 1\4 tank left right now it is reading less than 90 miles. Let's say the guess gauge is close to being accurate. 1\4 tank holds 4.3 gallons. Let's say that the MFD is really off and I am only averaging 40mpg right now. With 1\4 tank left I should still get 172 miles until the tank is dry with fuel left in the line......if the tank is truly filled up all the way to start. Let's take off 25% for error purposes, which is way more than generous, that would leave me a range of 129. This is still way off.

Not that I trust the RANGE calculations of the vehicle but if you're going to have something like that on there shouldn't it be relatively close to being accurate? BTW since you can't tell a person's tone over the internet I am not angry just debating.

As extra info. I usually fill up no later than when the warning light comes on and I never get in more than 14 gallons. Shows how inaccurate the gas gauge is.

The range given is not to empty. Nor is it the useable amount of gasoline in the vehicle. The range, assuming that you don't overfill the vehicle is to get to where there is 2.7 gallons left in the tank. Or stated another way to use 14.5 gallons of gas. Those who want to push their vehicle sometimes drive until there is only 1 gallon left.

If you want to estimate the range it will calculate, take your last tank mileage and multiply by 14.5 gallons and it will give you an approximation. If you want to show 600 miles range, you will need to be getting ~42 mpg.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Interesting. That would make plenty of sense then. Where did you get that info from?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

No real trick for us. Accelerate moderately, use EV mode when possible. Tires @ 38 psi cold. Alot depends on the length of your trip and road variances (hills, type of asphalt, etc.) We are a min of 20 miles from any shopping, etc., so car gets warmed up on any trip.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

We bought a 2008 Prius in March and have been getting over 46mpg even with the cold weather in Wisconsin. Now that it is warming up, we are getting about 50mpg. We do keep the tires inflated to the maximum psi.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is a tip that no one has mentioned so far. Maximize the amount of electricity generated during braking. I found a table on the Prius site where someone used a laptop to determine the greatest amount of electricity generated during braking. The best results were a 22 second brake from 45 mph to 0 produces the most electricity. You can see this is a fairly long slow stop which fills the battery quickly. I have made this my habit if traffic allows this. We are commonly above 40 mpg.

Tires at 40 psi

Mobil1 0-20

Air filter changed @ 5000

Current Mileage @ 15000

Bill

Old 05-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast

My story is pretty simple. I'd never gotten better than about 38 mpg with my TCH. At my most recent fill-up, with gas at nearly $4/gallon, I decided I wouldn't go over 70 mph on that tank, just to see what would happen (my normal highway speed would be around 75 mph). Voila'! The tank, as computed by the car, came up to 40.5 mpg! Slowing down is our best weapon in this battle.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

Just completed 1245 mile trip to my son's place in Libertyville Il. (about 40 miles north of Chi) from Port Orange Fl near Daytona Beach. Did it in just under 2 tanks. First tank took me 630 miles just outside of Knoxville Tn and 40.8 MPG av. Second tank brought me to his house and gas gauge was a bit above E. Showed cruising range of 16 miles but past history indicates could have gone at least another 30. Comp showed 40.6 MPG on that tank and 40.7 MPG for entire trip. Air on in ECO mode entire trip, cruise on and 35 PSI in tires. Leaving here next week for Denton Tx to visit granddaughter and then back home. Best I've ever done on tank was 41.7 mostly city but 2 short trips to Orlando area on I4.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

I commute from NJ to CT. Approx 110 total miles daily. The hwy is hilly, not many flat runs and I'm averaging about 38-39MPG. I keep the car in ECO mode. Mileage per tank get me to about 600 miles. This estimate is based on the actual miles driven and level of gas left in tank.

I'm sure if I were driving in all flat roads, I'd be getting much better and hitting the 700 mile range.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

First tank of gas (got the car last Saturday) = 5.7L/100km (41.3mpg) - about 865km driven. Weather was wet and cold for the first 4 days, and now it's sunny and warm. I drive in from the foothills of the Rockies to Calgary (approx. 40 km one way), mostly highway - cruise, glide, no harsh acceleration, etc.

In town I use EV mode pretty much anytime there's an opportunity. I went from a fairly busy street to a street with a slight downhill grade to get to work - went over 2km in EV and regen while coasting (EV - top off the battery - EV...). Can't wait until the 'break in' period is over and the engine is 'ready' for some mid-40s mpg mileage...summer's less than a month away...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Driving in stealth mode

My route is 40 miles one way. On my commute in I go from about 750 ft above sea level to about 560 at the end. The I go back uphill on the way home. The highest point I hit either way is 797ft and the lowest is 521. Very few flat roads along the way.

The warmer weather is helping with the mileage. The last tank was 43. This one looks to be on par for the same. Also my driving habits have changed dramatically. I rarely go over 65 and don't hold 70 for more than a few minutes when I do. i also bleed off some of the spreed on the way up the hills a little and get the momentum going when I go on the downside ot it.

Quick Reply: Over 40 mpg?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands