An Open Circuit in Skid Control ECU Internal Motor Relay 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast
Question An Open Circuit in Skid Control ECU Internal Motor Relay 3

Dear All,

First of all wish you all a good health and all the best in this time or turmoil. I have a question regarding the Camry Hybrid 2013 braking system. I got car recently, used one with 56,000 miles on it, it had insignificant damage in front area, so I had to change the radiators.
Few days ago I observed that the brake light was on, however, the the braking potential is still the same, the pads work just fine. I went to the local dealership and they said that it was DTC C1253/53 - 329 "An Open Circuit in Skid Control ECU Internal Motor Relay 3". They told me that I had to change the ABS Block - which is not that cheap. I leave not in the US, I live overseas and the quality of service is not good. So I am worried that these people are just guessing, they are not sure. No one can explain why the warning light might switch off for several KM, or why the pads would work without any sign of malfunction - they are just saying that I need to change the Block.

Guys, if any of you have ever faced this type of problem, could you please give me an advice. It will be very valuable for me.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An Open Circuit in Skid Control ECU Internal Motor Relay 3

Given that this vehicle sustained substantial damage, I would be more suspicious that it's a wiring/connector issue.

The diagnostic tree for this code is fairly lengthy. It involves running a couple of techstream active tests and checking connectors/wires for voltage or resistance. Unlikely they did the complete diagnostics.

EDIT: note that there is T-SB-0130-19. It describes your situation exactly and calls for replacement of the stated components.

Last edited by S Keith; 04-09-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you. No, they just found the DTC and that was all.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 AM

Probably the DTC + the knowledge of that recent bulletin. There's a small internal leak in the unit, which is a very common problem with these units, and it causes a loss of boost pressure. Do you hear the boost pump cycling on a lot?

Old 04-10-2020, 11:53 PM
Enthusiast

Yes I do hear that pump cycling. But if it is a leak, why would it indicate the relay problem?

Old 04-11-2020, 12:37 AM

Because a relay problem isn't always a relay problem. The TSB is NOT specific to the detail code, and your specific detail code can result in replacement of multiple components depending on the deeper diagnostics.

If you you hear the boost pump cycling on rapidly, that plus the code is strong confirmation the unit has the internal leak.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you so much. Just one question, in case of internal leak , must not it affect the brake liquid level?

Old 04-11-2020, 09:28 PM

INTERNAL means inside the unit. Only an external leak, where you're actually losing fluid would affect the level.