One of the worst things about the TCH (w/Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
HAPPY TCH OWNER
Default Re: One of the worst things about the TCH (w/Nav)

The lock down is ridiculous. I have a BMW that has NAV and everything works while driving. I have a hybrid hacked nav disc with 7.1 maps and the override. During a long road trip my wife was able to enter the nav data we needed. The number of things you can do without entering address info is tremendous. Just going to the hybrid drive screen takes 3 or 4 keystrokes and then gives you a display that is more distracting than entering an address and serves no purpose at all.
You can still enter all options from the Cell phone directly and the hands free works. You can still text, eat, drink, and have sex while driving and be involved in activities that are more dangerous than entering map info.
Saying that these restrictions are for safety is pure BULL. There is only one reason that these features are disabled. The legal department at Toyota felt their risk of a law suit would be reduced. Nothing more...nothing less.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roseng
The lock down is ridiculous. I have a BMW that has NAV and everything works while driving. I have a hybrid hacked nav disc with 7.1 maps and the override. During a long road trip my wife was able to enter the nav data we needed. The number of things you can do without entering address info is tremendous. Just going to the hybrid drive screen takes 3 or 4 keystrokes and then gives you a display that is more distracting than entering an address and serves no purpose at all.
You can still enter all options from the Cell phone directly and the hands free works. You can still text, eat, drink, and have sex while driving and be involved in activities that are more dangerous than entering map info.
Saying that these restrictions are for safety is pure BULL. There is only one reason that these features are disabled. The legal department at Toyota felt their risk of a law suit would be reduced. Nothing more...nothing less.
Agree completely.

Can you PM me with details on how you built that disc/used it?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
For disc version 7.1? Without having to pull fuses? I see the other thread on this, but quite frankly, it's missing the "dummies" step-by-step guide.

I am likely missing something, so any pointer to the step-by-step would be welcome.
PM me if you want to know more about hacking a 7.1 disc.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone tried to contact coastal electronics about the lockpick?
I can't wait!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Professional Hacker

The "lockpick" devices are just for the Prius..

However, I made a little device that will enable full usage. It does require a little electronics skill... I was thinking about trying to mass-produce them.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

David, does your device enable video input to the nav screen while driving? I have a back up camera installed, is it compatable with that? How much would you charge?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

It's a small complaint, but I wish the auxilliary power plugs remained on with the ignition off. I can't leave my cell phone plugged into the car for an hour to recharge it. I'm sure someone could rewire a plug for me, but am not sure that would be a good idea.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
[start of rant]

Forget the driver, there are a thousand things they could do even if Toyota locked the nav down like Fort Knox. It really is useless to lock down the NAV but still have the distraction of the radio controls, climate controls, insane ECO button location, cup holder, cubby hole, arm rest bin, and so on. Honestly, those are only the items in the car. We have to add the list Larry mentioned plus a thousand more.

Here's the deal:

As a driver you are responsible to drive safely. There is no system that could be designed to make you a safe driver. The only thing that could make you a safe driver is to not drive at all. So we should stop locking out functions that could safely be utilized by a passenger. If we have a problem with poor/unsafe drivers, toughen the law. Revoke a license for a period of time if a driver is involved in an unsafe action. Charge drivers a portion of insurance settlement (whether their fault or not) if they were text messaging or using a cell phone or using the navigation at time of accident - do something.

To any one who preaches we should have no distractions. Do you ever get an itch on your, say, arm and scratch it while driving? Have you ever sneezed or coughed while driving? Do you ever talk to someone while in the car? Do you listen to any sort of audio? Do you look at the clouds some time? Or a passing animal on a farm pasture?

If yes, I would like it if you could please stop because I do not want to be killed as a result of your unsafe action.

[end of rant]
Sounds like less of a rant and more like good old-fashioned common sense to me. Let's please have back some sense of personal responsibility, folks.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow
Sounds like less of a rant and more like good old-fashioned common sense to me. Let's please have back some sense of personal responsibility, folks.
Ah common sense, the only sense that should be in abundance but is missing in today's world. We now have what I will coin as 'sue sense.'

One day I am sure high school history books will discuss the "common sense era" or the "personal (lack) of responsibility era."

Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by wbray123
It's a small complaint, but I wish the auxilliary power plugs remained on with the ignition off. I can't leave my cell phone plugged into the car for an hour to recharge it. I'm sure someone could rewire a plug for me, but am not sure that would be a good idea.
You could leave the car in ACC mode (press the power button without depressing the brake). Right?

I am actually glad they shut off. That way I can leave the iPod plugged in without worrying about anything and knowing it will automatically start charging when I start the car again.

Quick Reply: One of the worst things about the TCH (w/Nav)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands