old topic (trunk lid found open)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: old topic (trunk lid found open)

Funny, I was thinking of this thread just yesterday evening. I dropped something in my kitchen, and when I bent down to pick it up, I heard a faint beeeeeeep from the garage area. I mentioned to my wife, that I bet I just opened my trunk, or unlocked my doors on the car...fob in my pocket. (which meant, of course that they would be locked the next time I went into the garage, as I don't lock the car in the garage, but after unlocking them with the fob, if a door isn't opened soon, they all lock after a short time) She laughed, and I mentioned this thread. Sure enough, the trunk was open!

I bet that there are NO occurences of the trunk opening where the fob is not in a persons pocket or purse, and being accidently pushed on without the person being aware of it.

Last edited by jbollt; 02-14-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jbollt
Funny, I was thinking of this thread just yesterday evening. I dropped something in my kitchen, and when I bent down to pick it up, I heard a faint beeeeeeep from the garage area. I mentioned to my wife, that I bet I just opened my trunk, or unlocked my doors on the car...fob in my pocket. (which meant, of course that they would be locked the next time I went into the garage, as I don't lock the car in the garage, but after unlocking them with the fob, if a door isn't opened soon, they all lock after a short time) She laughed, and I mentioned this thread. Sure enough, the trunk was open!

I bet that there are NO occurences of the trunk opening where the fob is not in a persons pocket or purse, and being accidently pushed on without the person being aware of it.
Actually, my FOB was on my dresser. Also, I park far enough away from my apartment I know the fob doesn't reach unless I stand outside and point it directly at the car.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Actually, my FOB was on my dresser. Also, I park far enough away from my apartment I know the fob doesn't reach unless I stand outside and point it directly at the car.
Is it possible that you accidently pushed the trunk button on the fob while placing it on the dresser, or picking it up to take it with you???

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think it is extremely unlikely for the trunk to be opened by an outside source.

I guess anything is possible.............

edit: I don't mean to sound so negative, sometimes the nature of online discussions leaves out the emotion that can be communicated vocally....You don't have to prove it to me, I just hope the cause is found.

Last edited by jbollt; 02-14-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jbollt
Is it possible that you accidently pushed the trunk button on the fob while placing it on the dresser, or picking it up to take it with you???

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think it is extremely unlikely for the trunk to be opened by an outside source.

I guess anything is possible.............

edit: I don't mean to sound so negative, sometimes the nature of online discussions leaves out the emotion that can be communicated vocally....You don't have to prove it to me, I just hope the cause is found.
No problem buddy. No offense taken at all. Since these things happen and are not discovered until sometime later, it is nearly impossible to know. That said, I have had the car for almost a year and the fob is aways in the same pocket with the same items and number of keys and it has never happened in those conditions. Being not in the pocket makes odder. I was working @ home that day.

I will just be on the look out to see if it happens again. After all, you do need to hold the button down for a second to open the truck. Why haven't I set off the panic? Or unlocked the car?

Just too many variables.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 AM
old fart

I keep my fob in my right pants pocket and several times i have set off the alarm while in my house.Yesterday it happened again and later in the day i went into the garage to find the trunk open.First time for the trunk but it happens when i set and put preasure on the fob.Guess I need to get larger pants or loose some weight.