Oil options for 2007 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil options for 2007 TCH

Originally Posted by agnosto
Toyota's synthetic oil does not mean is fully synthetic and it would not compare to the quality of Mobil 1 100% fully synthetic 0W20 or 5W20...
You may have something there. I bought the Toyota synthetic 0W-20 oil in the reddish-orange plastic quart containers. The parts man I have known for many years charged me $4.99 per quart. We had talked years earlier when I owned the 2003 Corolla. He said even back then he was almost positive this oil was actually Mobil 1. Now that Mobil has about 4 or 5 synthetics it would be hard to do a clean glass comparison.

He once tole me there Toyota dino oil could very well be Mobil oil. That oil I bought the other day was expensive. I paid $4 per quart for 5W-20 'dino' oil. He said its the same oil that comes in the new cars as a break-in oil. I changed mine with a new toyota filter at 1000 miles. Sometimes here in the souther New Mexico desert its gets dusty due to dust devils and gusty winds. The Toyota mechanic tole me years ago that dust/sand can somehow find its way into the oil. July is our windy monsoon season. This year it was more into August. Anyway I felt better after the oil change.

I will use the Toyota synthetic 0W-20 oil when I change at 5000 miles. The mechanic said it would help give me top gas mileage. He also said with the engine starting and shutting off so much, being thin it gets up in the engine quicker. I called the 5 auto stores here in town. None carry the 0W-20 synthetic. Walmart did for a while but no more. Evidently there is not enough hybrids in this town just yet. 2009 supposed to be a pretty big year for hybrids and other manufacturers coming out with them. I'm sticking with Toyota.

I will tell on myself. I was anxious to get full synthetic oil in the then new 2003 Corolla. I switched to synthetic when I had only about 2000 miles on the clock. You know, it took 8500 miles to get the engine 'fully' broke in to get top gas mileage. I won't make that mistake again. Going synthetic at 5000 should be ok.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-23-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by Ed_T
With the oil draining as clean looking as it does, there's probably some life left to it. The synthetics could probably go even further.
Even if the oil looks clean it might not be safe to use. If the oil has lost it's protective quality identified by TBN (Total Base Number) it will not keep the engine part from being attacked by partially burned fuel which is very acidic.

I had my oil tested a on my last oil change (not most recent one, but time before that) and had them take a sample of the new oil that was put in the car. The report attached is from the used oil. I will try and remember to get the virgin oil report posted tonight (it is on my home computer and I don't have a copy here at work).

Attached Files
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
Even if the oil looks clean it might not be safe to use. If the oil has lost it's protective quality identified by TBN (Total Base Number) it will not keep the engine part from being attacked by partially burned fuel which is very acidic.

I had my oil tested a on my last oil change (not most recent one, but time before that) and had them take a sample of the new oil that was put in the car. The report attached is from the used oil. I will try and remember to get the virgin oil report posted tonight (it is on my home computer and I don't have a copy here at work).
Get you own tester. We have the electronic model and use it for the cars, trucks,and Gulfstream V. very accurate and tells everything from antifreeze, moisture, iron, steel, aluminum, copper, and the % of the life of the lubricity. I find that with a full synthetic (not saying brands as do not want an oil war) oils in an automobile at 10,000 miles will show 30-40% life used up. Take it for what its worth but that is how i know when to change oil on some 40 units.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!

Originally Posted by agnosto
Toyota's synthetic oil does not mean is fully synthetic and it would not compare to the quality of Mobil 1 100% fully synthetic 0W20 or 5W20...
Granted...BUT, if it is the oil recommended by Toyota, and it is put in by certified Toyota techs, if it F***s anything up it is not my fault.....it is theirs! Beauty!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Dazed and Confused

I will try and remember to get the virgin oil report posted tonight (it is on my home computer and I don't have a copy here at work).
OK, so it is not last night, but here is the report for the virgin oil.

Originally Posted by skywagon
Get you own tester. We have the electronic model and use it for the cars, trucks,and Gulfstream V. very accurate and tells everything from antifreeze, moisture, iron, steel, aluminum, copper, and the % of the life of the lubricity. I find that with a full synthetic (not saying brands as do not want an oil war) oils in an automobile at 10,000 miles will show 30-40% life used up. Take it for what its worth but that is how i know when to change oil on some 40 units.
Where can I get one, and how much do they cost. I would love to be able to monitor the oil and only change it when it gets dirty or the TBN gets too low.

Attached Files
Old 08-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

OK, so it is not last night, but here is the report for the virgin oil.

Where can I get one, and how much do they cost. I would love to be able to monitor the oil and only change it when it gets dirty or the TBN gets too low.
Northern Instruments Corp. 6680 Highway 49, Lino Lakes, Minnesota 55014, phone #612-784-1250. I think I paid around $180 a few years ago, they may be more or less today. it is real handy if you also own deisels as it tells fuel soot content. it is called Lubri Sensor. Have run many aircraft engines to full TBO using this device.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

Hi All,
I live in the Northwest and we have a chain of shops here that have a pretty decent reputation for quality and service. I bought a lifetime oil change plan for my 2000 Caddy for $179.00 when I bought it new. I get four oil changes a year (which equates to every 3,000 miles), tire rotation and a 25 point safety inspection. I have more than made my money back.

I called last week after picking up my TCH to see what type of oil they use and how much it would cost now. They said they use 5w-20w Castrol synthetic blend and the plan now costs $249.00. I have always been very pleased with their service and quality of work. This will sure be cheaper than the dealer.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:27 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

Heavymetal: wondering about what they're putting on for an oil filter? Hopefully not F***, which uses cardboard endcaps.

ag4ever: the virgin oil looks nice. Wondering about the true nature of the silicon though. Lots of moly - some prefer that in their oil choice.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ed_T: Oil options for 2007 TCH

I found out they use Wix filters. I found a couple of in-depth. filter reviews and Wix appears to be in the middle as far as quality. They use metal end caps and have about 72 square inches of media.