Oil filter - Tight!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter - Tight!

I have the Fumoto valve. I had it on my previous vehicle, works like a charm.

I was able to find a coupon for a $10 oil change at a Dealership near me, so I used it for the first change and had them install the valve at the same time. - Let them deal with the mess ;-)

On my second oil change, I was able to use an end cap filter wrench with no problem. I was pleasantly surprised, that no oil leaked onto the ground when I removed the filter.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

for my 2011 prius I save almost a $100 when changing my oil, dealer charges extra for full synthetic for some reason, my 2004 prius only cost $40 from dealership though...

back to the wrench though, don't bother with the cap filters and definitely don't spike a screwdriver through the filter...mainly because its a paper filter in a capped housing..so if you do this then you would have to make sure you pick up a spare toyota filter housing. The straps don't work either because of all the ridges on the filter housing, what you need is "PBT 71110" made specifically for toyotas and lexus...if you google that and look at the picture you might notice those 6 ridges, well look at your plastic filter housing and you can see they line right up, I tried everything...even that craftsman 3 prong beast that looks like the jaws of life..yea well my stuck filter actually broke the gear placement on one of the legs of that puppy and now its useless, the PBT 71110 worked, but not before using an galvanized elbow and 4ft galvanized pipe off the end of my rachet for support. Got the darn cap off and because the PBT fits over the housing it didn't break it, like the craftsman surely would have since it applies pressure inward...

On a side note I actually did take it to the dealership to have my oil changed, paid the $100 got her home and lifted her up to see if the filter was still stuck...it was, so unless it seized on the motor again on the drive home I'm pretty sure they couldn't get it off either, but hey maybe mine was a special exception

Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

even that craftsman 3 prong beast that looks like the jaws of life..yea well my stuck filter actually broke the gear placement on one of the legs of that puppy and now its useless,

WOW. You got some skill, man. I have that filter wrench for lost count how many years, and it works like a champ. Truly, best wrench I am aware of. Takes some finagling to use, but once you know what you doing...
Sears? Brother, just bring it back and have it swapped. It's Sears.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Professor Emeritus

How long have oil changes and "spin on oil filters" been around? This is still a problem?

NO...

The problem is that the person trying to accomplish the task is either incapable or untrained. This goes both ways. This includes the person that installs the filter and or removes it.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by litespeed
How long have oil changes and "spin on oil filters" been around? This is still a problem?

NO...

The problem is that the person trying to accomplish the task is either incapable or untrained. This goes both ways. This includes the person that installs the filter and or removes it.
I went ahead and found a great answer to your first question. Anyone would be interested to read all of this site. Does the name Purolator sound familiar. Toyota used them to make all the filters for the TCH in America.

check out this great site..

http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm

Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 AM

I may have been wrong according to RonAKA. I forgot to mention this was when I had the '07 TCH. The oem filter and element looked just like the purolator brand filter. Ron said, their now made by toyota/Denso which is even better. Denso being one of the highest quality companies builds all the hybrid parts including the AC compressor for the Prius and Camry Hybrids.

The new TCH '12 and '13 filters which are like the older cartridge type where you reuse the same housing over and over.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-03-2013 at 02:05 AM.