Oil filter location

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter location

I've ordered and received one with the nipple. I've used it before and works great. I'll be installing this weekend when I can my oil.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
I like that Fumotovalve a lot.

Anyone ever used one of these setups?

www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil

Thoughts?
Maybe I'm a bit skeptical, but I don't think it will get all the oil out (or at least as much as a drain) and also I like to think one of the benefits of draining the oil is it flushes out the sediment on the bottom of the pan, sure there should not be any really if the filter is working, but I just like the flushing action of a drain.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thoughts?
The description on his webpage of how he used to change his oil reminds me of why I don't do mine anymore. I used to enjoy doing my own basic mainteance (changing oil & filter, air filter, plugs, etc.) but as I've gotten older I prefer paying someone $25 three times a year do not have to bother.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Pardon me for the obvious question, is there a remote chance that the lever can slip and get into the open position while driving and drain all the oil on the road and the engine seizes.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Olde Farte

Thoughts?
I used them for about 10 years/300K miles on Subarus with nary a problem. Very handy!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
The description on his webpage of how he used to change his oil reminds me of why I don't do mine anymore. I used to enjoy doing my own basic mainteance (changing oil & filter, air filter, plugs, etc.) but as I've gotten older I prefer paying someone $25 three times a year do not have to bother.
I like to change oil because it is one time I open the hood of the engine compartment, clean the interior with rags and change air filter and other things if needed. It also gets me in the mood for cleaning the exterior and interior of the car. So a simple oil change makes me do more of what I should have been doing all along. And I get a small pleasure in doing the oil change, though for the amount of time and labor, I can get better return doing something else and spend the $25 to get it changed by someone else.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by greenvillehybrid
Pardon me for the obvious question, is there a remote chance that the lever can slip and get into the open position while driving and drain all the oil on the road and the engine seizes.
Not likely. The lever is spring loaded and must be pushed up out of a notch before it can be moved to the "open" position.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Picture of Oil Filter and Drain Plug location along with a few tips I've picked up while reading these forums re:oil changes.

Hope it helps someone. I know it'll help me in another 2200 miles when I need to do my first change.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...hp?i=2077&c=40

I know the font is small once it's uploaded to the 'share' section, but you could right click the picture, save to your computer and then enlarge it using M*soft paint or like program.

All you gearheads, if there are any errors in the 'tips' textbox I typed up, by all means, advise and if I believe you, I'll re-up the picture with the corrections.

Last edited by Eskimonio; 10-19-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hope it helps someone. I know it'll help me in another 2200 miles when I need to do my first change.
A small correction: I would add first 4 quarts instead of 3.5 and then adjust to full after warm it up and let go back into the crankcase for 5-10 minutes. 3.5 quarts would put you probably about 1/3 or less from minimum. 4 quarts should be about 2/3 to full.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lovekills
A small correction: I would add first 4 quarts instead of 3.5 and then adjust to full after warm it up and let go back into the crankcase for 5-10 minutes. 3.5 quarts would put you probably about 1/3 or less from minimum. 4 quarts should be about 2/3 to full.
Funny you mention that, I had actually read in the forums the 4 qts number but changed it to 3.5 for my own notes, since I had a bad experience while doing my harley oil one time when I FORGOT to short fill prior to starting the engine and then topping off.

Oil all over the joint...it was hairy.

Quick Reply: Oil filter location

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands