Oil filter???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Oil filter???

I've ready plenty of discussion on hear about what oil to use but nothing about the filter. I am considering doing my own oil changes (for the first time in my life) and would like your opinions on what oil filter to use. Also am I going to need to get an oil filter wrench or will I be able to unscrew the filter by hand. I have seen several people state that they only hand tighten the filter. My vehicle currently has 11600 miles on it and was the Dealership owner's demo vehicle so I am assuming that the dealership did the previous 2 oil changes.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter???

Originally Posted by coolshock1
I've ready plenty of discussion on hear about what oil to use but nothing about the filter. I am considering doing my own oil changes (for the first time in my life) and would like your opinions on what oil filter to use. Also am I going to need to get an oil filter wrench or will I be able to unscrew the filter by hand. I have seen several people state that they only hand tighten the filter. My vehicle currently has 11600 miles on it and was the Dealership owner's demo vehicle so I am assuming that the dealership did the previous 2 oil changes.
I use a Mobile 1 oil filter...can't remember the model number right now.... M-104?? I also have a oil filter wrench to getting the old one off. When I install a new filter I hand-tighten only. The first oil change was tough because the filter was on so tight I couldn't get it off. I had to take it a shop for the oil change that time.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't sweat the filter too much. Changing the oil on a regular basis is more important. I usually pick up a Fram or whatever else is on sale. The only vehicles I'm particular about are race bikes, which operate at much tighter tolerances and under go much more stress. In those cases we've actually cut the filters open to see how they're made and there are really only a handful of differences. Usually finding a made in USA or Japan mark is a better indication of quality than the brand name.

I have filter wrenches for all of my vehicles because once in a blue moon I go to change it and it'll be on tighter than you can imagine. Then the options are filter wrench that works great or some other approach that is either messy, difficult, or both.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you want a good $6 filter I would buy the oil filter from the toyota dealer. The other really good $6 filter is the Purolator Pure One. I understand that Purolator makes the filters for toyota in America.

There are other good filters. Fram, if you get the $8 or $10 filter. Bosch or Mobil One are good filter to use.

After the page opens, click Pure One, then 'learn more' and read the details. Purolator offers a cheaper filter for $5.
It's the pure one that filters so well.

http://www.pureoil.com/

Last edited by rburt07; 03-11-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

I use only the PureOne also. For the money it gets more of the fine stuff out than the other cheaper filters. The next direct competitor is the Mobil1, buts it's a few more bucks.

Some like the Amsoil filters but I won't pay up for them given it's going to be changed in 5k miles.

Previous poster said changing the oil is foremost, and I agree. But I use what I consider to be a top filter anyway. Some swear by the cheap Wal-Mart Supertech filters. The car would probably last just as long using those if oil and filters are changed regularly.

I read somewhere that Toyota filters used at US dealers are now being imported from Thailand, and that they are not that great. I don't use them and don't plan to.