Non-Nav swapped out to Nav, Aux-In problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Non-Nav swapped out to Nav, Aux-In problem

Hi All -

I swapped out my in-dash JBL 6-CD changer for the Toyota OEM Nav unit, following the advice of DanG from this forum. Everything went very smoothly, with one exception. I can't get the Aux-In jack to work. On the 6CD unit, it worked perfectly, but that only required the cable coming from the car's wire cluster to be plugged into the back of the unit. The Nav requires a Y-cable to split this harness into two, and this is where I believe the problem lies.

This is the Y-cable which bridges from the car's harness to the Nav unit.

This is a close-up of the Aux-In part of the jack, which plugs into the nav head unit. As you can see, there are four wires leading in (red, green, pink/blue, and black).

And this is the cable which plugs into the Aux-In jack itself, at the back of the storago compartment. As you can see, there are five wires leading out of this (red, black, white, green, and orange).

It's this four vs. five wire discrepancy that makes me wonder if the Y-harness is the reason I can't get the Aux-In jack to work. I purchased the harness from a Canadian Toyota dealership, as those in the US aren't familiar with the part as no one down here is swapping in navs as they are up there.

Anyone else done this swap and gotten the Aux-In to work?

Thanks!

-Alex

Old 05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Non-Nav swapped out to Nav, Aux-In problem

The other thing I noticed was that my Aux-In jack itself had a model number of 86190-02020. I'm not sure I've ever heard of this before - if anyone is pulling out their storage compartment to install a VAIS or something like that, can they check the model number on their Aux jack (it's on a sticker on the plastic housing sticking out from the back of the storage compartment), and also confirm whether there are four or five wires coming out of it?

Thanks!

-Alex

Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

ToutSuite — Have a look at pages 285 and 295 of the attached pages from the Wiring Diagram of the radio/NAV systems. They show the connections of the Stereo Jack Adapter in the NAV and non-NAV systems respectively. You should be able to check whether the cables that you have are indeed connecting the wires from the Stereo Jack Adapter to the appropriate pins of the radio unit's sockets. Good luck!

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wiring-282to297_AV systems.pdf (134.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Hi SPL -

Thanks for the reply and diagrams!

Unfortunately, I think they're for the 2007 Camry, or at least the previous iteration than mine. These show four wires coming from the stereo jack (green, green, brown, red). It seems this has changed in later models (such as mine) to a five-wire connection from the stereo jack, as seen in my images above.

Further evidence is provided in a new TSB from Toyota to fix audio hiss and static from the stereo jack with a new filter and wiring harness which shows five wires coming from the stereo jack, in the same configuration as mine (see attached PDF). I think Toyota switched to this configuration as standard to try and eliminate the noise problem.

So, I think the problem has to do with the Y-harness I ordered to fit for the Nav unit. I can't say for sure, but I think this was made for the old, 4-wire connection from the stereo jack, not the new five-wire one. Either Toyota has updated the Y-harness, or I'll have to figure out where that fifth wire is going and make sure it gets to the right place?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB-0067-08.pdf (461.4 KB, 1068 views)
Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

ToutSuite — I guess you're right. The 2009 models are likely different from the 2007-8 models, and presumably incorporate the noise prevention circuitry within the radio itself. I can't tell you what the new wire assignment is. You'll need a 2009 Repair Manual to determine the correct routing of the wires. The original circuit used a common ground for both the power and audio circuits, and this "ground loop" was the cause of the problems. The original 4 wires were {ground, audio-L, audio-R, signalling}. The signalling wire told the radio that an auxiliary port was attached (not that anything was necessarily plugged into it). The new 5-wire version presumably has {chassis-ground, audio-ground, audio-L, audio-R, signalling}. By plugging a lead into the AUX socket and using an ohmmeter you should be able to determine which wires are the {audio-ground, audio-L, audio-R}. The remaining two should then be easy to identify. By the way, a 3.5-mm stereo plug has audio-L on the "tip," audio-R on the "ring," and audio-ground on the "sleeve."
Stan