No Foot Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default No Foot Lights!

In the owners manual index (page 393) it lists interior "Foot Lights... page 127". Page 127 makes no mention of them. I'm guessing that some other Camry model does have footlights so maybe they would be easy to add to the TCH? Has anybody installed footlights? This seems a very strange omission I think it's the first car that I have owned without them!

Last edited by Paulgw; 11-23-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No Foot Lights!

I have seen it available as a port installed option thru Southeast Toyota distributors. If memory serves me correctly, the option price was rediculous somewhere in the upper two hundreds or low three hundreds.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: No Foot Lights!

You know, if it's available on other Camrys then the mounting bracket might be there but no socket is installed. I had this happen on my Avalanche. Saves the manufacturer a couple of dollars on each vehicle. Look up under the dash above the footwell and see. If the bracket is there, the bulb and housing are probably universal and available at an auto parts store. I got the sockets and bulbs for mine at Autozone. I don't remember what I paid, but less than $5 probably. I then wired them to the dome light so they automatically came on when the door opened and then faded out when the door closed. If you're not handy, you might get it done at a radio installer at a more reasonable price. Hundreds of dollars is an extreme ripoff.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CoolRod
You know, if it's available on other Camrys then the mounting bracket might be there but no socket is installed. I had this happen on my Avalanche. Saves the manufacturer a couple of dollars on each vehicle. Look up under the dash above the footwell and see. If the bracket is there, the bulb and housing are probably universal and available at an auto parts store. I got the sockets and bulbs for mine at Autozone. I don't remember what I paid, but less than $5 probably. I then wired them to the dome light so they automatically came on when the door opened and then faded out when the door closed. If you're not handy, you might get it done at a radio installer at a more reasonable price. Hundreds of dollars is an extreme ripoff.
Thanks!

I have briefly checked a couple of other Camry models and talked to the salesman and have been told there are no models that have footlights. It should be fairly easy to install a couple lights, the tricky part will be trying to hook them into the existing entry light system. Definitely a warm weather project which I think I will pursue as I miss that warm glow when you get into the car at night.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Footlights? Do you mean the small lights on the bottom of the door that turn on when you open it?

Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Enthusiast

No Al, he's talking about the footwell area, which is the floorboard where your feet go. On most cars there is a light that illuminates the footwell so when you get in at night you can see if there's anything there. On budget cars there isn't one, but on a car in the upper $20s there usually is.