New steering related recall or TSB ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Owner
Default Re: New steering related recall or TSB ?

I have not yet received my notice from Toyota regarding the "Special Service Campaign (SSC)-90A.
However I did download the notice that was posted on Green Hybrid and my 2007 CHV is one of the cars listed by VIN # as needing to have the EPS link replaced.
So I took the notice down to my local Toyota dealer where I bought the car and talked with the "Service Advisor". He acted like it was the first time he had heard of the Service Campaign but he did acknowledge the notice and did agree that the dealership would replace the EPS link. I asked him if they had replaced any of the links yet on the CHV and he said they had. I got the feeling that he was just saying that so that the dealership wouldnt appear to be "behind the curve" in performing the work.
I think that I am going to wait until I receive the official notice from Toyota and then maybe wait a month or so after that. By that time they should have had experience in performing the replacement on other CHV"s and should know what they are doing. I dont have the utmost confidence in the mechanics at this dealership and I dont want mine to be the first CHV they perform (experiment with) the work on.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Along for the ride.....

Well - I got the work done. I didn't notice any concerns prior to the work being done and, now that it's done, I don't see any difference it the way it drives. I guess this is good.

I do have a new 6" scratch/slice on the top of my steering wheel that wasn't there before. They looked at it and will be getting back as the service manager was off.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptung07
We have a problem.... As indicated in the previous posts, I had this service campaign performed on my vehicle. However, now when I turn the steering wheel, I can hear some clicking/grinding noise coming from the vehicle. Its like a "ttttttttttt" noise when turning the steering wheel...Either trying to park at low speeds or making a turn. The noise is very obvious when the car is in EV mode because you can hear the EPS not the engine noise. I guess I am bring it in next Friday for repair/to get it looked at.

The dealership just lubricated the CV boots and it fixed the problem. Apparently it was "dry".

Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

I noticed the clickings on sharp turns recently. Mine is an 07 camry hybrid US built. I called the dealer and the guy there said my veh. is not covered. Does anyone know how much it costs for something like this ?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A CV boot that was noisy. Don't think I ever seen that one. I have seen them tear from old age or a rock hit would split one open. Then you loose the grease and the dry CV joint wears and becomes noisy when turning under power.

The fix here is a CV replacement with grease a new boot cover. To test yours, the clicking usually is louder when 'turning' near one full direction than the other, when going slow.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-06-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

My 2007 TCH had the recall exchange done last week as part of the regular service at the dealer.
I got the letters in the mail for both the steering and the carpet issues.
Next I expect the pedal issue letter when the new parts arrive.
This makes 3 recalls in the last year - sad for such a nice vehicle but telling on the recent quality of the design.
I drove 84, 87 and 94 corolla's and never had these problems!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

After having the steering recall service performed, I have noticed that the steering response has developed slight "notch" feel when making minor steering adjustments. It is somewhat intermittant, and sublte... It feels a little like riding a motorcycle on a grooved road when it takes just a bit more steering input to initiate a minor steering correction than anticipated.
Otherwise, the steering seems fine...

I have taken it to the dealer 3 times and they have double checked the aligment and done the re-calibration procedure (the re-calibration does has helped a little, but has not fixed the issue). They claim that they don't feel any problem when they test drive it. I have had one friend with the same car notice that he felt something on mine that he did not feel on his but it was still very subtle and intermittant.

Has anyone else noticed something similar? Any ideas/suggestions?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

It's a side effect of Electric Power Steering Assist.
I noticed this on my '04 Prius. I always attributed it to Prius tires. On my '07 TCH I notice it but very slightly. Our '09 Venza (also with electric power steering) is perfectly smooth.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks... I was just getting a little nervous with the latest corolla steering investigation news...