New Hybrid Owner: things in need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Hybrid Owner: things in need to know?

I Just Bought a 07 Camry Hybrid and I was wondering what I need to know? how to maximize my MPG?, What kind of gas?, Recommended Air filter?, whats the B on the shifter for?, What kind of MPG should i expect? How many miles to a tank should I get? whats the latest version of navigation and where do I get it?What do I need to know about the Batteries? anything else i need to know.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: New Hybrid Owner: things in need to know?

CWJordin:

Just do a search on this forum and you can find answers to most all your questions.

David Price

Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

CW,

For sure, do take David's advice and search the forum. There's a wealth of info and advice posted here that no one would have the energy to condense for you.

But here are a few quick thoughts.

"Your mileage will vary" is even more true for Hybrids. Some posting here regularly approach 50 mpg while others can never even achieve the EPA numbers.

Short trips, cold winters and hot summers all kill mpg.

You will find that there's a lot of mpg to be gained by modifying your driving style specifically to suit the behavior of the TCH. Again: search the forum. And you may find that it takes a while to learn the tricks.

Beyond that, there are a few things you can do right away that will definitely help increase mpg:

1. Use a "top tier" gasoline, and avoid ethanol blends if you have the choice in your area.

2. Change your oil now and make ABSOLUTELY sure you get 0W40.

3. Increase your tire pressures up to the highest pressure you are comfortable will be safe.

4. Install a block heater (preferably genuine Toyota part specifically for this engine block) and use it every day (twice a day if you can plug in at work), summer and winter, and in all climates, no matter how hot. ( Even with outside temperatures in the 90's this can save you a few gallons a month.)

5. In the summer, use your A/C sparingly. Always keep it in "ECO" mode, and keep the fan speed as low and the temperature setting as high as you really need for comfort.

Each of these measures can net you a few mpg. Taken all combined they could make the difference between a satisfactory experience and an unhappy one.

Good luck, and keep us "posted".

Jack

Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
BBH
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
5. In the summer, use your A/C sparingly. Always keep it in "ECO" mode, and keep the fan speed as low and the temperature setting as high as you really need for comfort.

Each of these measures can net you a few mpg. Taken all combined they could make the difference between a satisfactory experience and an unhappy one.

Jack
I agree in principal; but I've found that keeping the car cab hot seems to make the battery compartment hot, and THAT is the worst thing that can happen. When the traction battery is hot, the amount the system will allow it to discharge is decreased, which results in less effective battery available to the drive system.

Try this when it is over 98 degrees out. Keep the AC in "Eco" (if your 07 has that), and point the dash vents at the aft deck battery cooling inlet vent. I have found that this SEEMS to increase the amount of discharge allowed of the TB. Jack is right though, heat is worse than cold when it comes to killing MPG. My base of 42 will drop to 40 when it is real hot no matter how I might try wish another 200' of EV mode.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BBH
I agree in principal; but I've found that keeping the car cab hot seems to make the battery compartment hot, and THAT is the worst thing that can happen. When the traction battery is hot, the amount the system will allow it to discharge is decreased, which results in less effective battery available to the drive system.

Try this when it is over 98 degrees out. Keep the AC in "Eco" (if your 07 has that), and point the dash vents at the aft deck battery cooling inlet vent. I have found that this SEEMS to increase the amount of discharge allowed of the TB. Jack is right though, heat is worse than cold when it comes to killing MPG. My base of 42 will drop to 40 when it is real hot no matter how I might try wish another 200' of EV mode.
Big thanks to Bern for this advice.

I'll try it.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

see my signature

Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks this has all been helpful

Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you won't regret it. One thing I'd like to mention is that, like you, when I first got it I wanted to get the max MPG out of it! But after 4 years of having this car I'd like to throw in "just drive it and enjoy it!" It seems that sometimes we get so caught up with MPG's that we forget to enjoy the **** thing!!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmartinez95
Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you won't regret it. One thing I'd like to mention is that, like you, when I first got it I wanted to get the max MPG out of it! But after 4 years of having this car I'd like to throw in "just drive it and enjoy it!" It seems that sometimes we get so caught up with MPG's that we forget to enjoy the **** thing!!

+1...although I figured that out at 4 months

Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
+1...although I figured that out at 4 months
Some of us learn slower than others! Better late than never, right?

Quick Reply: New Hybrid Owner: things in need to know?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands