New-Car First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default New-Car First Impressions

I picked up my new TCH a week ago, and have not found (after a very close scrutiny) a single manufacturing defect also the paint finish appears to me to be equal to the Japanese manufactured vehicles. Congratulations to the Kentucy plant!

The only flaws (and disappointments) that I have found so far are design flaws, such as no dead battery protection if the interior lights are left on, making the many customisable options something only the dealer can modify; very dim trunk and gear shift/steering wheel control lights. Also I find the manuals are poorly written with missing and confusing information, especially the navigation one. The navigation acuracy is also poor.

Also I suppose you can hold Toyota responsible for the poor way I have been treated by the dealer, I think they should set higher standards!

Sorry if I am being over negative I really do love the car and so far I would rate the car a 9 out of 10

Last edited by Paulgw; 11-25-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New-Car First Impressions

Originally Posted by Paulgw
The only flaws (and disappointments) that I have found so far are design flaws, such as no dead battery protection if the interior lights are left on,
My manual says in a couple of places that the lights will turn off after 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure it works because once I left the drivers side personal light on. When I turned the car on later that light was on and it wasn't before I hit the power switch so the cutoff must have worked.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john312
My manual says in a couple of places that the lights will turn off after 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure it works because once I left the drivers side personal light on. When I turned the car on later that light was on and it wasn't before I hit the power switch so the cutoff must have worked.

I think this may apply to the headlights if the doors or trunk are left open, I have left the courtesy lights on for more then an hour and they still stayed on even when I left the trunk open.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by Paulgw

I think this may apply to the headlights if the doors or trunk are left open, I have left the courtesy lights on for more then an hour and they still stayed on even when I left the trunk open.
Likewise with the Map lights.. No automatic shutoff..

Old 11-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

The first night I brought our Hybrid home I accidentally left the map lights on. The next morning when I walked out to the car they were sill on. Bummer. Ever my 02 Tacoma turns off the dome/map lights after 30 minutes. I expected that a car with all kinds of cool features like push button start, keyless entry, etc... would have THAT feature! Toyota does some weird suff sometimes. Still love the car though!