Need to store my Camry Hybrid for more than a year.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Need to store my Camry Hybrid for more than a year.

I'm moving overseas later this year for about 2 years and need to figure out what to do with my 2007 Camry Hybrid. It's got about 75,000 miles on it and is in good shape, but I've been reading about special storage requirements.

Unfortunately, I can't rely on anyone I know here to keep it in their home or to drive it once in a while. Plus, I'd rather not pay insurance on it if it's not being used. Has anyone left theirs in a large storage unit for more than a year? Can you share what you did and if you got any help from Toyota?

Or is it possible that selling it (though I'd rather not) is a better option than storing it for that long?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Need to store my Camry Hybrid for more than a year.

To be honest about it, if you don't have anyone you trust to drive the car every two to three weeks for 2 years, I would look at selling the car and buying another when you return stateside.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

You want to keep it insured. But you can get 'parking' insurance. It is a fraction of the cost of regular insurance but it cannot be driven on public roads. Just have someone start it up for a few minutes periodically.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think for two years you may be better to sell it, and buy another one when you get back. You will save the depreciation on the car.

Even if you disconnect the 12 volt battery, and I would, it should be charged every 6 months or so. If it dies you are out $300-400 or so.

But, the HV traction battery is the bigger risk. I just don't know how well it will do if left to slowly discharge. It might survive fine, or it could die too. You are looking at $3-4K to replace it, unless it is still on warranty.

The rest of the car should be fine. I would change the oil right before you store it, and drain all the gas out of it. Gas can go to gunk if let sit too long, although there are some additives which are SAID to prevent it.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sell it.
It's in good shape today, but unless the car gets really good exercise, you'll probably need to replace the exhaust system which typically rots from the moisture that condenses and never fully burns off. Plus in two years, the car will be almost 9 years old, so it's no longer a 'new car'.
As the battery wont get full exercise, no one can say what the effect of the extended period of non-use will do, either
Use the money to buy a used car when you come back.
The difference in prices will be minuscule and you wont have to deal with the hassles, etc.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well, technically, it can be left for long term storage. Float charger connected to NEW 12V battery (current is likely to die). Vehicle supported on jackstands to lift tires up in the air. Spark plugs removed and some oil poured inside. Petrol drained. I am aware of at least one car that sits garaged, on the floor, with 500 miles on it, since 1990 or so, and it willl still start.
Hybrid battery is different story. Unless there's trickery to keep it charged, it will drain and you'll have to have her towed to dealer to recharge. Unless live 12V will kick start MG and it will start charging it right away.
Personally, I doubt you save any money, selling her and buying later. All I can tell, is that used cars prices go up very fast. Good cars, I mean. Dollar is depreciating fast.
But for the hassle and chance taking - I'd join the choir and say - yeah, probably sell. Or, pay someone to come and run her every so often, but you'll still have to have new 12V and float charger connected. I say, 5 month periods, as someone here had his sitting in garage for 6, and then pushed the button and she started.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Just starting it up is not all of the problems encountered with long term storage. The car will need to be driven to get fluids around the power split device (transmission) as it is splash lubed and the insulation on the windings depends on the fluid to keep them moist. You will also need to contend with the struts, springs, bearings, CV joints, master cylinder, brake accumulator and calipers locking up if not used plus the electronic steering unit seals drying out. That is just for starters of what can happen.

To keep everything lubed up and moisture controlled, the car needs to have 20 to 30 miles put on it every 2 to 3 weeks. If not, the cost to get the car back into running condition after 2 years will often outweigh the value of the car.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. What about buying extended coverage insurance for the car (it is out of warranty) in case something goes wrong with while in storage? How much would that cost and can anyone recommend a plan?