Need new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Need new tires...

My tires are just about done. A few questions...
  • Do Low Rolling Resistance tires last as long as regular tires?
  • Do LRR cost more than comparable (assuming you can find a direct equivalent) tires?
  • Do LRR tires feel the same? Are they quieter, noisier? Do they handle the same?
  • How much does TireRack.com save, by the time all expenses are figured in?
  • Any recommendations on a good tire? My needs...
    • Long life
    • Comfortable, quiet ride

Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Default Re: Need new tires...

Originally Posted by haroldo
  • Do LRR cost more than comparable (assuming you can find a direct equivalent) tires?
  • Do LRR tires feel the same? Are they quieter, noisier? Do they handle the same?
    • Long life
I can only help you on your last question. They may be better tires than I suggest, but they may cost more. You already know my recommendation. I like discount tires for the best pricing which includes lifetime rotate and balancing if you buy the set. Watch for michelin rebates which they have often, if not monthly. Sometimes discount tires has their own rebate on tires. Don't depend on one discount tire manager 'store', some are better at giving better prices than others.

My favorite tire so far is the michelin primacy mxv4.

click Sizes or Specs to compare tires on the site below. Tirerack offers lots of other brands starting on their homepage, choose tires by brand. One of two oem tires that comes on the '07 TCH is the michelin energy mxv4 S8 tire. Since it came out in '07, michelin has came out with 3 tires with improved LRR performance. Michelin calls theirs the green-X tire which has a tiny symbol imprinted in the sidewall.

Your p215/60 16 tire size shows two replacement mich. primacy mxv4 tires. The oem 94v which is a 9/32 tread, utqg 500 AA, includes LRR green-X tire. The 95H SL might be more suited for your driving. It's a deeper 11/32 tread with a longer 620 AA utqg and is also a LRR green-X tire. The 95H looks to be lower priced.

Interesting here to click survey and see why customers rate the mxv4 primacy so high. The customer reviews are also interesting to read on any brand of tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4

Here is the discount tire homepage below. You can see the various brands some with rebates. I don't see michelin with a rebate for May, perhaps during June they may have another $70 rebate. Ask the manger to be sure.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

Last edited by rburt07; 05-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

I am not sure what you are inclined to buy but I saw my local Sam's Club selling some Michellin GreenX tires that are LRR (low rolling resistance) and are on sale by giving you a $70 rebate if you buy four.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any recommendations on a good tire? My needs...
  •  
    • Long life
I would recommend the H speed rated version of the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Consumer Reports gave this tire the top rating overall. You can check at Tire Rack, but I believe the H version has a tread life rating of 660, while the V rated tire is 500. CR gave it the top rating for rolling resistance. The H version may have a slightly higher rolling resistance but as it wears it should equal the V version. I think you will find the V version starts with less tread thickness.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 AM

• Long life
Haroldo, your excellent at asking detailed questions about tires. It's been a while and was wondering if you went back to a medium priced tire. Lots of competition in tires, each manufacture is now making many price ranges of tires.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM

I went to Sears and asked for the Michelin Primacy, which wasn't in stock, so I picked up the Defender (?) instead. Seems to drive nicely, so I'm happy (and I believe, a 90,000 mile warranty)

Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM

I went to Sears and asked for the Michelin Primacy, which wasn't in stock, so I picked up the Defender (?) instead. Seems to drive nicely, so I'm happy (and I believe, a 90,000 mile warranty)
Say the michelin defender is a great choice of tire. Shows here to have a 4.5 star rating. Just what you wanted, great quiet ride plus other outstanding features.

http://www.michelinman.com/defender?...FcYBRQodQys_zg

Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks for all your assistance

Old 06-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Do the Michelin's ride any better or quieter than your other tires when they were new.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Impossible to remember. New tires always replace old, shot, tires, so the new ones feel, ride better and give better mileage, etc.
It seems quieter, but I can't tell if that's because they're quieter than the other ones or if it's just the new versus old phenomenon.
They're fine, I'm happy with them

Quick Reply: Need new tires...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands