Need advice on 07 Camry Hybrid HV battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Need advice on 07 Camry Hybrid HV battery

I have a pretty nice low miles 2007 Hybrid Camry project car that I am trying to save from becoming a salvage car. It had rodent damage to the fuse box under the hood. I fixed that but the car sat for about 8 months. I haven't tried to start the car yet. Is there any possibility the HV battery can be saved? It is very likely the original from 2007. Or should I just go ahead and get me a rebuilt /exchange battery and move forward. Any particular rebuilder anyone would recommend? I am in San Antonio,Texas.

Thanks,
Bibbt

Old 04-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Need advice on 07 Camry Hybrid HV battery

Following this.. New member here.. Have you heard of DrPrius/Dr Hybrid App? It's compatible with a bunch of different affordable (under $50) obdii scanners from Amazon, etc and will give you fairly detailed information about the health of your HV battery. I own the same exact car, 07 TCH (very early production though, unusual J-Vin model) . Car was immaculate when inherited from family last year.. However like yours, sat for 8 months, and now having trouble starting. It was maintained pretty spectacularly by family, frequent oil changes/basic maintenance stuff. But it's 155k. Knowing that, Ive installed new coils, plugs, air filter, water pump, belt, cam pos sensor, coolant temp sensor, MAF sensor , etc. I seem to only have one bad cell, despite the car sitting for so long. If you want to chat, or have any questions/advice feel free to reach out. In case you haven't heard of the Dr Hybrid App, I highly recommend downloading! Here is the link to the scanner that worked for me with it.

Amazon Amazon
That particular model gets stellar reviews, but unfortunately it's only compatible with Android devices. If you're iOS user, there are still tooons of other affordable options. The Dr Hybrid App works pretty much across the board as far as bluetooth scanners go. I just saw the reviews on that model (4.5 stars out of 20,000 reviews) and for $20 figured I couldn't go wrong!

Wishing you the best with your TCH.

Regards, RI.Hybrid

Old 04-14-2021, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

Hi there RI Hybrid and thanks for the reply. Since I my first post, I attempted to power up my 2007 TCH. All of the dash and 12v powered systems seem to act normal so it looks like I got all the wiring right. I never did get the "Ready" light to come on though. Pretty sure the HV battery is done from sitting. I took your advice and ordered a bluetooth OBD2 code reader. This will at least allow me to look at the battery data and determine if I should even bother with trying to fix it. Supposedly there is a way to see the condition of the battery modules on the Nav unit screen too but I think the DR. Prius app will be easier to navigate. I will report back what I find.

Bibbt

Old 04-18-2021, 01:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There's chance that battery can be charged by dealer. Or, you can get grid charger, balance cells (drain them of all power completely) and grid charge DIY.