Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation, adding it on afterwards

i am thinking of getting the oem value nav for my mom's TCH that she got tonight...

are ppl happy with it ?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
You are not quite correct.

All the Camry NAV units are the same, whether they are from TCH or non-hybrid.

Actually......that's wrong. The units themselves are different, or at the very least they have different firmware. Several of us Canadian types have connected the wires, to no avail. In fact, the actual screens do not even exist in the diagnostic menus.

Unfortunatly, the two units have the same part number. This also explains why some people in the U.S. who have got their nav units replaced because of a fault have suddenly lost their energy screens, at least untili they got their dealer to replace the unit again.

Later!

Dang

Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang
Actually......that's wrong. The units themselves are different, or at the very least they have different firmware. Several of us Canadian types have connected the wires, to no avail. In fact, the actual screens do not even exist in the diagnostic menus.

Unfortunatly, the two units have the same part number. This also explains why some people in the U.S. who have got their nav units replaced because of a fault have suddenly lost their energy screens, at least untili they got their dealer to replace the unit again.

Later!

Dang
How right you are. The Hybrid NAV and non-Hybrid NAV units are NOT the same. I know this exactly because of what you wrote.

Just after I purchased my TCH, the CD changer went hay-wire and the dealer needed to replace it. Since it was a new system w/ NAV, they needed to order the part from Japan. About 3 weeks later, they got the part in and swapped out the NAV unit. When I got into the car, I couldn't find the Energy Screen.

I spoke w/ the Parts Department (Warranty Replacement) and they swore that they ordered the right unit and I didn't know what I was talking about. You can figure out how that flew.

Parts finally called Toyota Corporate and found out that both units had the SAME part number, and you needed to specify a Hybrid-NAV head! How stupid is that?

End result: I was without CD capability for around 2 months! No big impact, I normally only listen to FM, just irritating and unbelievable that a company could stick the same Part Number on two completely different units!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

so.. in that case, couldn't someone in Canada just order the nav and specify a hybrid-nav head unit?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tideland Prius — Unfortunately not! The wiring harnesses and connectors in the cars are different. There are 5 wires that aren't present on the non-NAV wiring harness; and without them you don't get the hybrid-related screens.

Stan

Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
so.. in that case, couldn't someone in Canada just order the nav and specify a hybrid-nav head unit?
Tideland...

It's a good question. One catch is probably that the hybrid-nav unit does not come into Canada for any reason. It's not available as a factory option, and the dealer installed one is the non-hybrid-nav unit. I suspect since it already has confusion over the part number, it might be hard for Toyota Parts Canada to get. What I was thinking of doing is trying to get a U.S. dealer to order one for me.

In fact, JHSmith...
What dealer did you get your unit from? Since they already know about the two different units with the same part number, it might be good to order through them. (if they will do it!)

Of course the part that sucks is I've already got the wrong nav, which I'll have to sell at a loss.

Later!

Dang

Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Tideland Prius — Unfortunately not! The wiring harnesses and connectors in the cars are different. There are 5 wires that aren't present on the non-NAV wiring harness; and without them you don't get the hybrid-related screens.

Stan
Stan....

You can add the wires (the CAN buss wires are the key), but it still won't give you the energy screens. You need both the wires, and the correct Nav head unit. The head unit is the hard part.

Later!

Dang

Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM

If I was looking for Nav system I would call some junkyards, they must have some totaled TCH already, as a matter of fact there was some posting about totaled TCH from member of this forum, just a day or so ago. I wonder why Canada has no energy screens, too cumbersome to rewrite software in metric for limited market??? It would be funny because judging from temperature display it seems internally the car runs metric and I don't blame them. Is US the only country in the World still stuck with units from stone age?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Pete.....

Both the hybrid-nav and the non-hybrid-nav have both metric and U.S..

I think it's a marketing decision. They decided not to offer Nav as a factory option here, and then it's too much of a PITA to get the dealers to connect up the CAN wires for the dealer installed version.

They did the opposite in the U.S. (...I think), where you can only get it factory, and not as a dealer installed option.

Thanks for the tip on the wrecked TCH. I'll try to track that down, though don't hold out too much hope being that lucky.

Later!

Dang

Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
SPL

Deng — Correct! My point was that, even if you actually got hold of the correct NAV unit, it still wouldn't work in a non-NAV TCH until you'd modified its wiring harness by adding the 5 extra signal wires that are needed, and changing the connectors. That's not a trivial thing to do.

Stan

Quick Reply: Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands