Nav disc version

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Nav disc version

I brought my car in to have Nav disc upgrade via Toyota TSB. They assured me they would upgrade to latest version. When I went back I found that they were just installing another Version 5.1 (same as original). Now I don't have a problem with that if thats all I have coming from the TSB but they absolutely assured me that it is the latest, greatest and only version available for the TCH. What really makes me mad is the lying!
What is it about car dealers that makes them lie? I expected more from them, they run an otherwise first class operation. They even give free massages while you wait for service and free lunch at noon. They perhaps have too much frosting and not enough cake!

Bob
Fort Meters Fla.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lyling and Dealerships

Originally Posted by Bobfl
I ...What really makes me mad is the lying!
What is it about car dealers that makes them lie? ...
Bob
Fort Meters Fla.
I was a dealer technician at a "Prestige Brand" for a period of time, years ago, at a dealership that has since closed. So I'll share this with you...

My very first week as a dealer technician I was scolded for my ineffective "upsell" by a senior technician who had befriended me. The customer came in as a "waiter" with an oil change discount coupon in hand. I did the oil change and did my multi-point inspection of the car, eventually sending the RO back with notes that the rear brakes were at 20% and should be serviced.

My friend grabbed the RO back out of the hopper and told me "Re-Rack that car you idiot". So I did.

He took me under the car and showed me two things... Up on top of the control arms he pulled down some dried pine needles and asked me: "What does this tell you?"

I shrugged.

He said: "Pine Needles... They live above Mulholland. Those houses START at a million-five!"

Wow! I said... as we progressed to the back of the car. Up in the strut housing and transverse links my friend pulled down some spider webs with dead insects in them. As he played with the webby mess he declared: "This is a spare car! An Airport Car maybe! Come On.. let's re-write this upsell!"

We then re-submitted the RO with a bunch or marginal, subjective bull-excrement, loaded with what were known as "Scary Words".

The "$19.95 Oil Change and FREE 21 point inspection" turned into a $950 upsell that I was able to flag out at 4.5 hours and slammed it in 2. They gave her... you know... a free ride to work, so it was ok.

I lasted about 3 months at that place and I am now very grateful for a new career.

OH! And I do *ALL* my own service and repairs except for smog and tires.