My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Had my first oil change today at 1,100 miles on the recommendation of my dealer. It was free. They said they used 5w-20 and do not carry 0w-20. My question is, how do you know for sure they used what they said they used? The invoice just says "bulk oil."

Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jreas
Had my first oil change today at 1,100 miles on the recommendation of my dealer. It was free. They said they used 5w-20 and do not carry 0w-20. My question is, how do you know for sure they used what they said they used? The invoice just says "bulk oil."
I'm guessing bulk oil is 5W-30.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 AM

Went for my first oil change yesterday. Keep in mind that at an owner's orientation two weeks ago I asked service this question. They were very emphatic about "the owner's manual and oil cap calls for 0W20 or 5W20, so that's what we use".

So yesterday I wanted to double check. I asked the order writer what oil they use, pointing out what Toyota recommends and what was said two weeks ago. She said she'd have to ask. 45 minutes later she comes by to tell me my car is ready. Oh, by the way I asked about the oil. The tech said that Toyota recommends 5W20, but they use 5W30 which is just as good. I informed her that if it were just as good then Toyota would not have 0W20 and 5W20 written in the owner's manual and on the oil cap.

She was very nice about it and had them put the car back on the lift and do it again.

As an aside. Let's say I did my own oil changes. 50,000 miles from now I have engine problems. They ask me about the maintenance so I pull out all the oil receipts showing that I performed the oil changes at the proper intervals. They then notice I purchased 5W30. Do you think they'd say "good job, it's not what Toyota recommends, but it's just as good" or do you think it's more likely they'd say "you didn't follow Toyota's recommendation. Sorry, we can't cover this warranty repair"?

Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 AM

Marc, I just had almost the same experience! Took my TCH in for the 5,000 service. Specifically told the service writer that I wanted the oil type (5w20 or 0w20) noted on the cap, and even showed it to him. When the car was finished, and the paper work completed, it showed 5w30 as the oil used! I questioned this, as I had sepcified that I wanted the 0w20 or 5w20. He stated that is what they use, and "it's the same" !!!! He even had a tech that was walking by get in the conversation, and the tech said that the altitude had something to do with what viscosity to use. (We are at 2,800 feet, certainly not high altitude, and I have never heard that one before!) (And I trust them to work on my car????) NOT!!! They gave me a certificate for a free oil change next time... don't know what to do.

How does one really know what oil was used anyway??? I used to do my own oil changes, but I am not able to do that anymore, so I am at their mercy.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Oil viscosity explained.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

In parts of the US including Canada where are the winters are cold 0W20 oil would probably be the best choice for the colder months in order to get the best possible fuel economy and easier starting. In the summer months or warmer climates 5W20 oil I would think be preferable.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:04 PM

I don't get why the dealers are doing this. It's as other pointed out, if you were to do your own servicing and a problem occured and they found that you were using the wrong oil... YOU ARE TO BLAME. So the reverese is TRUE too.

Insist that they put the right oil and if they don't, don't bring it to them and contact the regional manager.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 PM

Update: I just got off the phone with the service mamager, who confiemed that they put 5w30 in my car....he apologized, said "We thought we had that issue worked out already, but appparently we don't...please come back at your convience, and we will put the proper 5w20 in the car, while you wait." He also stated that Toyota ships the car with 0w20, but 5w20 is fine for our climate (desert SW, very mild winters..daytime highs rarely below 55 degrees).

Heading back to the dealer now.

Last edited by jbollt; 10-24-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
I don't get why the dealers are doing this.
Because they buy 5W30 in 55 gallon drums, making it much less expensive. Of course, I don't mind paying the difference so I guesss I also don't get why they're doing this.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Because they buy 5W30 in 55 gallon drums, making it much less expensive. Of course, I don't mind paying the difference so I guesss I also don't get why they're doing this.
I suspect it is not intentional, just poor communication and training of the lube guys....and it is easier to pump the required 4.x quarts, rather than open and pour 4 or 5 bottles of oil.

Quick Reply: My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands