My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Just called the dealer where I bought my TCH...the service advisor told me that Toyota Co. highly reccomends NOT using synthetic oil...He also said they use only 5-30 Penzoil...I wasnt about to argue with him about either point...they are certainly not calibrated when it comes to what weight oil to use. I am in the Chicago area. The dealer is Classic Toyota in Waukegan.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Personally I think your dealer is giving you BS. First the car calls for 5w20 or 0w20 and since I have never seen 0w20 in anything but a synthetic I have to beleive Toyota knows that and honestly what woudl their reasoning be to NOT use a synthetic, it hold up better to abuse and high temperatures and from a manufacturer that had sludge problems you would think they would welcome synthetic. I suspect your dealer is very misinformed or an idiot or possibly both

Old 10-22-2006, 06:46 AM

Your dealer is blatantly lying to you. Toyota's recommendations are in the manual. Toyota recommends 5W-20 or 0W-20 for the Camry Hybrid. On page 347 of the manual it says:

SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 may be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel ecnomy and good starting in cold weather.
At my dealership free lifetime oil changes come with all of their vehicles. The free oil would be 5W-20. I'm paying the difference between the free oil and synthetic, about $18 extra, to have them use 0W-20 instead.

Perhaps you should print page 347 of the manual from the iGuide and give it to the service manager.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:50 AM
joe540ci

I have a new camry with almost 2000 miles on it. My manual said to have maintance and oil change at 5000 miles. I always thought that the first oil change should be sooner??? Will I be OK to wait till I get 5000 on it ??

Old 10-22-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
I have a new camry with almost 2000 miles on it. My manual said to have maintance and oil change at 5000 miles. I always thought that the first oil change should be sooner??? Will I be OK to wait till I get 5000 on it ??
I'm sure it is ok, if it were not then the manual would say to chnage the first time sooner. My practice on al my cars has been to get first oil at 1k-2k (most of my cars had free first change by dealer) then I usually resume normal intervals. I like to get factory oil out sooner because I assume it has taken a beating with engine break in and also what ever excessive wear there might have been during break in. I usually us stock oil up to 2k then switch to synthetic.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Guys, I thnk everyone misread the intention of the original post. If I'm correct, the poster is saying that he already knows his dealer is an idiot because they are using the wrong oil for the TCH, and he is advising everyone to stay away from this dealer for oil changes.

Originally Posted by pandc
...they are certainly not calibrated when it comes to what weight oil to use. I am in the Chicago area. The dealer is Classic Toyota in Waukegan.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM

Yeup, your dealer is full of crap.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

More and more proof to stay away from all the incompetent dealerships and if possible to do oil changes yourself... I do mine for over 15+ years now and use 100% Mobil 1 fully synthetic w/o any issue... just bought me today a great gift a heavy duty (weighs around 100lbs) BRAND NEW Michelin 3 1/2 Ton Industrial Quality Floor Jack by Michelin from SAM's club to make tire rotation easier for my Toyotas and I just found out that I paid over $20 less than same one sold on eBay (haaah, hoooray)... what an awesome vehicle the 2007 TCH is...

Last edited by agnosto; 10-22-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Yeup, your dealer is full of crap.
Yes indeed! most of them are (stealers), been servicing my own vehicals for the last 55 years, no one to blame but myself.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
Perhaps you should print page 347 of the manual from the iGuide and give it to the service manager.
Why bother. Just point to the oil filler cap. It says it right there. Just make sure they don't replace the cap with one without the recommendation.

I was at an owner orientation session my dealership had a couple of weeks ago in the evening. I asked the service manager about oil changes. His response was that Toyota states 5W20 or 0W20 right on the cap, so that's what they use. Now that's what I wanted to hear. I go for my first oil change this afternoon.

Last edited by Orcrone; 10-23-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply: My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands