My new personal record, 885 mile tank at 61 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default My new personal record, 885 mile tank at 61 mpg

Now my '12 TCH is nearing 10K miles and with the hotter temperatures I tried for another record tank.

I drove it down to the empty mark knowing they are 2 gallons left below that to keep the fuel pump in the tank cool.

I drove 40 mph and slow so the EV mode would come on much more often. I sure with Toyota would make the EV more efficient at higher speeds like 50 mph. Maybe someday when they come up with a super cell battery.

I say again, all this high mpg is not just me, it's part where I live here in the southern New Mexico desert. Were at 4100 feet at the desert floor and it's usually very dry during the summer. The humidity can run from 0% to 15% on the sunny days. The sun is out here almost everyday except for July which is our monsoon season and it rains a lot. I just barely got my tank in to get it filled. It started raining a few days after.

I'm showing you what the TCH can do if driven slowly. Most can't drive like I can around here. The traffic is light when we drive to down almost daily around 7 pm. We eat in town then return home around 10 pm, sometimes later. People around here in Alamogordo, NM were we live out in the country, don't seem to be in much of a hurry like in the big cities.

It's a 8 mile drive to town that's on a divided 4-lane highway with a posted 55 mph zone. I drove 40 highway in the right land using my flashers anytime I see a car approaching from behind. I drove 30 and 35 in town with the car usually in the EV mode.

When driving 40 highway I can pull my cruise level down once sometimes twice and most times if the T-battery is charged it will run in EV for a mile or more till the engine starts.

This is my results on my 7/13/2013 fillup.

Trip miles for this tank, 884.9

Tank mpg, 60.9

Gallons used, 15.120

Cruising Range, 0

New Cruising Range, 845 miles

9429 miles on my '12 TCH XLE (15 months old)

Calculated miles, 58.52 That's -2.37 mpg below the MID readout.

Oil I use 0W-20 Mobile One with the oem toyota filter.

Tires are Michelin Primacy MXV4 93V series. The 94H series has a deeper 11/32 tread. I saw a 94V listed not long ago on the tire rack site, but did not look into it.

I think a better mpg tire would be the Mich Energy Saver which fits and usually comes oem on the LE TCH. Michelin don't make this tire to fit the XLE TCH.

Dave, dj2012tch from the toyota nation group had information on how to use a rain gauge and test a sample of gas for E10. The info may also be on youtube. I did the test and the gas I used even though a top-tier phillps 66 regular, it still had 10% ethanol in it. I was hoping for 63 mpg but my guess the ethanol prevented that. I had one 60 mpg high mile tank with my '07 TCH back when they didn't have the E10.

If you want to increase you mpg, simply trying to slow down some. Easier acceleration helps. Keep you cold tire pressure up between 37 to 40 psi.

Here my tank is showing empty, 884.9 trip miles, 60.9 mpg for the tank, mpg meter pointing to 60+mpg and the cruising range is at 0 before I zeroed everything.

609mpgtank8849miles001a_zpsd4ecc3df.jpg

This is the new cruising range I took at a stop sign after driving a few blocks away from the station.

609mpgtank8849miles002a_zpse9acbd4c.jpg

Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My new personal record, 885 mile tank at 61 mpg

I should mention i'm back to driving my normal style at 40+ mph. I usually drive 60 on any trips so the ride is not so boring. I always use the cruise control even on the 2 mile country road to our house at 25 mph due to the paved road being a little rough.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: My new personal record, 885 mile tank at 61 mpg

Nice run there Jimmy. You do have some unique driving that allows you to get high (which you noted..). I would become a bumper ornament for a Kenworth if I drove that slow however...