My 4 day old TCH CD Changer died....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default My 4 day old TCH CD Changer died....

Wow, only 4 days into owning my TCH and my CD changer died.

I had 4 CDs in my Nav system (the max number), and went to the Audio menu and tried to switch from #4 to the #3 CD. The thing froze. Eventually I was able to get it off that screen and when I went back, it said "CD Error." I tried every possible permutation to remove, eject or play the discs. I turned it off for 3 hours, came back to it, etc. Bottom line, the thing's hosed.

I called the local dealer (I bought the car around 120-140 miles away), who said they'd never worked on these yet, so they didn't know if the entire Nav system would need to be replaced or just the stereo. If it's the stereo, they have to order it, as they don't keep this in stock. Their first opening is Monday - I'll let you know.

Also, my phone seems to have trouble connecting to the Blue Tooth for some reason, but I haven't problem solved it yet.

Depressing.

EDIT: Anyone else had trouble with this or anything else on the nav component?

Last edited by sfam; 09-06-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:11 PM
CSG
Enthusiast
Default Re: My 4 day old TCH CD Changer died....

I'm not sure you can blame Toyota for the stereo crapping out but I understand it's disappointing.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CSG
I'm not sure you can blame Toyota for the stereo crapping out but I understand it's disappointing.
Its definitely dissapointing. Up until that point I'd loved just about everything about the car. But by your comment, did I do something wrong that caused this? If not me or Toyota, than who would be at fault?

Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
CSG
Enthusiast

Doesn't JBL make the stereo in this car? All I'm suggesting is that it's not Toyota's fault (even though it's covered under their warranty).

AS far as what you did or didn't do, I wouldn't have a clue. I haven't even tried the CD on ours.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CSG
Doesn't JBL make the stereo in this car? All I'm suggesting is that it's not Toyota's fault (even though it's covered under their warranty).

AS far as what you did or didn't do, I wouldn't have a clue. I haven't even tried the CD on ours.
JBL definitely makes the stereo, but at least in my mind, Toyota is responsible for the product they sell. For instance, if my alternator turns out to be made by Bob's Auto Designs, and goes bad, I'd still say this was Toyota's fault - chances are, so would Toyota (I wrote my check to Toyota, not JBL). They do the product testing, integration tests, etc.

Although, my dissapointment isn't really about blaming someone. I'm just depressed that my new wonderful toy isn't working right anymore. I'm really not that happy about needing to get serviced less than a week after buying my car. That my car gets to be the ginea pig at my local dealer doesn't inspire happiness either.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't think it's Toyota's fault unless you blame them for buying stereo equipment from the lowest bidder.... (I'm guessing, that's how things seem to work these days)

If I was buying a car stereo or any stereo, JBL wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

See if you can find the fuse for the stero system, remove it for a few seconds, replace it and try again. My son's stero system had a CD error in it and this fixed his problem. (He has a Matrix)

Old 09-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Price
See if you can find the fuse for the stero system, remove it for a few seconds, replace it and try again. My son's stero system had a CD error in it and this fixed his problem. (He has a Matrix)
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a go (as soon as I find the fuses!).

Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

My CD player had "died" once (see previous posts).
It just revived itself after 2 days without any intervention. Never took it to the dealer.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by montush
My CD player had "died" once (see previous posts).
It just revived itself after 2 days without any intervention. Never took it to the dealer.
OK, that's pretty weird. If it happens to me though, I'd be thrilled.

Quick Reply: My 4 day old TCH CD Changer died....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands