Mtec Hids

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mtec Hids

Originally Posted by Squint
There aren't any kits that replace the halogen projectors. For a few thousand, you can have a retrofit done that will be superior to almost any OEM HIDs.
And...to me...certainly not worth the money. Just looking for something better than the really crappy stock lights.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I've done a couple in other cars, and they were in the "thousands". (well, over $1000 anyway, $2,000 for one I did).

To me if you just put HID bulbs in non-hid projectors, you may as well drive around with your high beams on. I've never seen one that's not blinding to other drivers. (which I realize you don't care about when you are the driver, just thinking of others.) They just simply don't have the cut offs that a true "e code" or something of the like would provide.

...and you actually get less light output than the Halogen bulbs. They do look cool though.

Later!

Dang

Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dang
Yeah, I've done a couple in other cars, and they were in the "thousands". (well, over $1000 anyway, $2,000 for one I did).

To me if you just put HID bulbs in non-hid projectors, you may as well drive around with your high beams on. I've never seen one that's not blinding to other drivers. (which I realize you don't care about when you are the driver, just thinking of others.) They just simply don't have the cut offs that a true "e code" or something of the like would provide.

...and you actually get less light output than the Halogen bulbs. They do look cool though.

Later!

Dang
If this is case -- what in God's name do I do to get more light. These headlights SUCK! I cannot say that enough. While driving around the city, with those crappy orange lights, I cannot even tell my headlights are on and they don't light up ANYTHING! I really really need something better.

When on back roads in complete dark, I can barely see more than 100 feet in front of me and that is not enough to avoid something at 60 mph.

Sorry....but if I spend 300 I really want more light -- not looking cool....ugh....

Sorry for the rant...the headlights really tick me off :-/

Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

Not trying to be a smartass but are you sure you are not driving around with the daytime running lights? My headlights are white and while far from the best can be seen at night and are adequate. My daytime running lights are orange in color and barely cast light on the road as you describe.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by wmatt140
Not trying to be a smartass but are you sure you are not driving around with the daytime running lights? My headlights are white and while far from the best can be seen at night and are adequate. My daytime running lights are orange in color and barely cast light on the road as you describe.
I keep it on auto. They are the headlights. The light is yellow-white (as I would expect) but the street lamps over power them thus creating a situation where you cannot reasonably see people, especially when it is raining. My Ford Rangers low beams were 10x better. I also feel like they are cut off too soon. Of course this would not change with HIDs.