MPG ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG ouch!

I just took delivery of my TCH (ordered 2 aug) and was wondering if anyone who added mud flaps to their TCH found any change in mpg. I have read some questions about flaps changing the drag of the car.

Note Thanks to all for their discussion - it has been a treeasure of information!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

I've had my car two weeks. I drove normally and even pushed it a bit, and got 35.3 from the first tank. This week, I drove gently the first part of the week, and the mileage dropped off. Later in the week, I drove normally or put a foot in it, and the mileage picked up again. Interesting that at higher speeds I seem to get better mileage, as the car seems to coast down the inclines, and not struggle keeping speed up the inclines. It's contrarty to what I'd expect, but if I have to drive it like I stole it to get the best mileage, I will.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

I have had my TCH for a week and a day now, but I have noticed that the mpg seems to be better when the computer can decide what to do than when I try muself. At least the indicated mpg is almost always higher when I can use cruise control than when I try to drive the same route following some of the methods on this forum. I haven't had a chance to experiment much myself with snow on the streets but today the temp is up to 30° for the first time so I will keep trying and will keep track.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_man2
I've had my car two weeks. I drove normally and even pushed it a bit, and got 35.3 from the first tank. This week, I drove gently the first part of the week, and the mileage dropped off. Later in the week, I drove normally or put a foot in it, and the mileage picked up again. Interesting that at higher speeds I seem to get better mileage, as the car seems to coast down the inclines, and not struggle keeping speed up the inclines. It's contrarty to what I'd expect, but if I have to drive it like I stole it to get the best mileage, I will.
Welcome, JayMan. I am wondering if the temperature swings in our area affected your mileage more than you might realize? My mileage drops a few MPG in the very cold weather, but I can see the average coming up as the temperature gets over 50 degrees.

It hasn't been cold long enough for me to have much more than a vague idea about the relationship between cold and MPG. I am posting my actual MPG in the database here. Should be interesting to watch as the winter goes on.

Best wishes.