mpg new car

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 AM
old fart
Default mpg new car

I just went 390 miles in central Ky.Up and down the hills and averaged 36.8.
My car is a 2009 camry hybrid and i just turned 2900 miles.
with my 2007 after turning 3500 miles on the same trip i averaged 39 mpg.and I found the magic number on the 2007 was 8400 miles and on the same trip i averaged 44.4
On my 07 the break in was 8400 miles.I traded with 13,000 miles and never got above 44.4 and pretty much stayed there.I use my cruse control and leave it on 71 mph.
I dont drive to save gas and drive it like any other car so im sure others will get better mpg going a little slower.
I use nitrogen in my tires and 33 lbs.On the 07 I started using nitrogen at 2000 miles and at 13,000 one tire was down 1/2 lb and the tires were always cool to the touch.At 5000 miles on the 07 i switched to mobil one and plan to do the same on the 09.
No one can tell me the difference from the 07 and 08 but i find the ride on the 09 much better and no longer feel the drift on the highways so i think they did something to the suspension.I had no problem with the feel of the 07 and 08 but on the 09 the first thing i said was wow,the ride is like a lincoln town car.
I remaired 17 yrs ago and was going to get rid of her 15 yrs ago but she got a job at toyota in Georgetown Ky so I kept her so i can get the discount.only kidding......
I owned the prius and put 13000 miles on it and my fat hips didnt like it but other than that, i found the Prius a great car with no complaints.The first 5000 miles i was a jerk to others on the road and tried to get every mile out of a gal of gas i could.After that i just got in it and drove it like any other car and averaged 50 mpg on the road.
Yesterday i was at mcdonalds in Manchester Ky. and an old man came in and hollered who owns the hybrid.He said the car hit his eye and didnt see it was a hybrid until he walked around it.Im sure he is going to buy one now as my friend that lives there knows him and said he hasnt seen him this excited about a car.Of course i gave him the cooks tour and told him about my dna attached to the car so i dont need a key.He left without me telling him about the fob.Oh well.
Have a great life and enjoy

Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: mpg new car

Originally Posted by duanerw
I remaired 17 yrs ago and was going to get rid of her 15 yrs ago but she got a job at toyota in Georgetown Ky so I kept her so i can get the discount.only kidding......
Sorry, I just have to comment.....

That is just awesome! hahaha.....

Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duanerw
I just went 390 miles in central Ky.Up and down the hills and averaged 36.8.

I use nitrogen in my tires and 33 lbs.On the 07 I started using nitrogen at 2000 miles and at 13,000 one tire was down 1/2 lb and the tires were always cool to the touch.At 5000 miles on the 07 i switched to mobil one and plan to do the same on the 09.

Have a great life and enjoy
Re. the nitrogen.

Very interesting.

Questions:

What exactly is the benefit of the nitrogen vs air? Less compressible? higher heat capacity?

Where do you get filled?

Does it matter much if you occasionally make up a little pressure loss with air?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

A friend of mine uses Nitrogen because it allows for a more constant air pressure when the tire is hot/cold. Before doing any type of tire work, you have to warn the tire technician first.

This brings up another topic. Many modern cars can display the current tire pressure on the dash display. Any way to get the TCH to display the tire pressure? If the car can tell you when the pressure is low, then the tire pressure is being sent someplace. Any hacks or 3rd party monitoring tools available for this?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 AM
old fart

I believe cosco has nitrogen but dont have one in Ky.Many tire dealers have it.I paid 30 for 4 tires in kY.and my mother in mich. paid 16.
No need to add air as it dont leak like air and you have no water in nitrogen.http://www.nitrofill.com/. this link has a lot of info.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Consumer Reports recently had an article about nitrogen filled tires. While it has benefits, I believe their conclusion was that it doesn't gain enough to be worth the cost if you have to pay for the nitrogen fill. So if you can get it done for nothing, it was good but otherwise ...