MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

It appears that this oil can be either Synthetic or Fossil based. The spec calls for neither - just performance criteria.
http://www.ilma.org/resources/ilsac_finalstd011404.pdf

At least one oil refiner delivers this grade in a synthetic blend;
http://www.conocophillips.com/newsro..._synthetic.htm

Hope this helps...

Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In general synthetic oil withstands higher temperatures longer, doesn't breakdown as fast and has more uniform molecules giving better, more uniform lubrication. In normal driving conditions most likely it wont make huge difference. On the other hand it may just give better protection when needed. As far as I remember Toyota recomends 0W20 or 5w20 but doesn't require that oil to be synthetic. IMO extra cost of $15-20 for synthetic oil every 5000 miles is worth extra peace of my mind. Smallest engine repair will cost more than extra cost of synthetic oil for next 100k miles. For some this may be somehow irrelevant anyway since for example my dealer puts synthetic oil without even asking and now I would have to go out of my way to argue for regular oil.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Year, 1999, I received a notice from Lexus that many of its engines oil was being changed at jiffy lube type shops with the cheap 89cent a qt oil, then the mfg was listing oil changes at 5K miles and the cheap oil combined with heat and high milage oil changes were sludging up the oil return holes in the cylinder heads causing it not to return to the oil pan and causing oil starvation. Lexus stepped up to the plate and extended the warrentee to 7 years or 100k miles which ever came first. My engine never got sludged up because i used full synthetic right from the first 1500 miles. 89 cent oil may be good for the old 2k oil changes but not for anytbing extended like the owners book calls for.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:40 AM
WVGasGuy

....oil was being changed at jiffy lube type shops with the cheap 89cent a qt oil,.....89 cent oil may be good for the old 2k oil changes but not for anytbing extended like the owners book calls for.

I'm almost speechless. I agree there may be a benefit to synthetic oils, though probably not anything noticable for anyone changing their oil at a 5000 mile interval.
Those "cheap" oils (I assume you mean Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobile, Exxon, etc...) have performance standards that are met or exceeded and are great oils when used as intended. (I don't consider 5000 miles as "extended").

Old 10-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
....oil was being changed at jiffy lube type shops with the cheap 89cent a qt oil,.....89 cent oil may be good for the old 2k oil changes but not for anytbing extended like the owners book calls for.

I'm almost speechless. I agree there may be a benefit to synthetic oils, though probably not anything noticable for anyone changing their oil at a 5000 mile interval.
Those "cheap" oils (I assume you mean Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobile, Exxon, etc...) have performance standards that are met or exceeded and are great oils when used as intended. (I don't consider 5000 miles as "extended").
I am glad you are speechless as I am only stating facts, and FYI, I never named any specific oil (like you did). Why does oil type and brand need to be such a pissing match on every single site. Well i am not going to name any brands or anything else but just stating facts, and it seems you are so into yourself you do not have time for facts. Big egoes are like hemmroids lol

Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 AM
WVGasGuy

Well i am not going to name any brands or anything else but just stating facts, and it seems you are so into yourself you do not have time for facts. Big egoes are like hemmroids lol

Sorry you see it that way.

I saw no facts in your post. I love facts. It's unfounded comments I can't stay quite about. I can't imagine that Lexus sent you a letter that specificall said "don't use that cheap 89 cent oil at Jiffey Lube" And if they are serious about it then why doesn't Toyota require Synthetic to maintain warranty (some other cars do).

All I have ever tried to do on this board is post information that is factual and to bring up issues to those watching these posts (that may be inexperienced) to consider their specific situation and the facts before they jump on every idea posted.

I believe I'm making my last post on GreenHybrid, I'm sure you won't miss my egotistical comments.

I'm outta here

Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 AM

WVGasGuy, don't leave. You have been a very giving, helpful, thoughtful, level headed, insightful and all around fun guy to have on this forum.

To stay on topic, I have never used synthetic oil, and have never had an engine problem...I have been driving since 1968. In the earlier days, I changed at 3,000 miles, since about 1995, I change my oil every 5,000 miles. I had owned (2) 2000 Camry 4clys cars that were alleged to be "sludge motors" (in fact, if i recall, this condition only applied to the Toyota Camry 4 cyl engine, and I believe Lexus doesn't sell any 4cyl cars). I received a letter from Toyota extending the warranty on these vehicles as long as the oil was changed at least once a year...no mention what brand oil was to be used, whether it was to be dino or synthetic, or where it was changed, only that proof was available, IF the need arised.

My personal thoughts are that synthetic oil might give a little better fuel mileage, but the difference in cost makes it a losing proposition, unless one is very lax about oil change intervals.

I have no issue with others using synthetic if they choose to, and if the manufacturer of any of my cars specified synthetic, I would use it, without question.

Jeff

Last edited by jbollt; 10-09-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 AM

The cases referred to as 'engines sludging up' may have nothing to do with synthetic vs. dino oil. I remember putting grade SE oil in my first car back in the early 80s. Then came SF, SG, etc. Perhaps it was caused by owner's not using the latest grade of oil.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 AM

Orcrone, I tend to agree with you. In fact, I bet the sludge came from a combination of things, one of which is extremely high mileages between changes... something like way over 10,000 miles...(I panic if I get to 5,100 and haven't changed mine yet). Perhaps in these cases, where folks are unable or unwilling to change at 5,000 miles, synthetic oile would be a benefit.

I only referenced that, in reply to skywagon's comment:

"My engine never got sludged up because i used full synthetic right from the first 1500 miles."

He seemed to infer that dino oil wasn't good for "...extended oil change intervals like the manual called for..."

I believe that the manuals today call for 5,000 mile changes, is that really extended??

Last edited by jbollt; 10-09-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by skywagon
I am glad you are speechless as I am only stating facts, and FYI, I never named any specific oil (like you did). Why does oil type and brand need to be such a pissing match on every single site. Well i am not going to name any brands or anything else but just stating facts, and it seems you are so into yourself you do not have time for facts. Big egoes are like hemmroids lol
This post was completely uncalled for. WVGasGuy posted his opinion on synthetic oils. Nowhere in his post did he make a personal attack on you. You threw the first punch, so shame on you skywagon.

Quick Reply: MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands