mpg

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default mpg

I'm a greenhybridhorn and was quite impressed with the running mileage display of 37.2 mpg until I put in my first tank of gas(got it with a full tank) and computed 34.4 mpg. This is almost 3 mpg less than the display. Is this what I should expect or are there variables that I do not understand? Can I expect that actual will be that much off from the display?

Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 PM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: mpg

until I put in my first tank of gas(got it with a full tank)

Are you absolutely sure it was FULL, at least as full as what it was when you filled it up this time? I"ve found that the indicated is off 1 to 3 mpg most of the time but over 11,000+ miles my actual is running about 0.9 under indicated. Thus assuming you're off 1 mpg due to that error, it would only take a little over 1/2 of a gallon to make up the rest of your error. I wouldn't count on your dealer having filled it full. I have been consistant with filling procedures and have had filling that far off.

Most people are having tough first tanks. If you have the Nav be sure to set the trip milage on trips to get an idea of what you're doing each time you drive. If you still get 34 then you'll have to look at your driving procedures and there is plenty of advise here and on edmunds.com to improve

You're not alone though on first tank blues.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Agreed. I have about 7K on my car and am running about .8 MPG over on the onboard. Since I am certain the gas sensors on the TCH can't be as sensitive as pump meters are required to be, I find this an acceptable margin of error. Just topping off the tank can make a difference depending on who fills the car (I live in Jersey, we still have full service and free can mean a bunch of things.

Driving style can affect MPG a lot, though I am averaging about 37, I have gotten as low as 33 (a whole bunch of short, cold start trips) and as high as 44, going 60 MPH for 200+ miles on cruise.

I'd say don't focus on one tank and look at over time. From what I see on here, most people end up in the 36-38 range, which is pretty reasonable given the EPA (usually very high) numbers of 40/36.

Last edited by Loonbeam; 09-13-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
WVGasGuy

I'd say don't focus on one tank and look at over time.

Correct. If you click on my link it will take you to my tanks. Hold the cursor over the "more" information link and it will show you the indicated milage for that tank and you can see that it seldom is close to my actuals that are hand calculated. I've been over and under sometimes by a significant amount even though I try to fill in the same mannor and 90% of my fills are at the same station.

Since I have kept track on my indicated mpg per tank I have been able to back calculate the theoritical gallons it would take to achieve that number and then I can compare it to the actual gallons over the lifetime of fillings to comapre lifetime actual agains lifetime indicated. (and no I'm not that fanatical, it only took me a few minutes to develop the spreadsheet so all I have to do is enter the info every time I fill and the spreadsheet does the rest)

Currently my measured lifetime actual is 38.92 and my lifetime indicated is 39.70 and that's measured over 11,500+ miles. Considering the error in rounding over 29 tanks that's pretty close. Unfortunately I wish it was off the other way.

Especially disappointing were some of my actual tanks that calculated at 39.9+ because when I got over 40 I was motivated to see how high I could get it and I had 41+ showing several times only to be disappointed that I didn't break 40.

However, looking back, after the first couple of tanks my motivation was to keep an average of 38 so I should be satisfied.

Last edited by WVGasGuy; 09-13-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

My lexus reads 2-3 MPG more than actual fill but my TCH only show .2-.3 low compared to the indicator. (so far) I suppose I better not hold my breath. right now it seems pretty accurate unless they degrade with use.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loonbeam

I'd say don't focus on one tank and look at over time. From what I see on here, most people end up in the 36-38 range, which is pretty reasonable given the EPA (usually very high) numbers of 40/36.
Actually, the EPA rating is 40/38.

I had my first major difference on my last tank. Calculated was 34.8, but indicated was 36.8. Usually they have been running around .5-1.0 off (calculated always lower).

I bought gas on Monday at $2.32/gallon, and the same station today had gas for $1.99! I almost crapped my pants when I saw that! Strangely, Unleaded reg was $1.99, but midgrade was $2.36. They usually don't differ that much.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
Actually, the EPA rating is 40/38.

I bought gas on Monday at $2.32/gallon, and the same station today had gas for $1.99! I almost crapped my pants when I saw that! Strangely, Unleaded reg was $1.99, but midgrade was $2.36. They usually don't differ that much.

Must be ELECTION TIME, once the elections are over gas will go back up.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:47 PM
WVGasGuy

the same station today had gas for $1.99!

I was just watching that on the news. We're still around $2.49 to $2.55 in West Virginia.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

$2.25 in MPLS today

Old 09-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am thinking they might be discounting for a limited time - $1.99 seems too low - especially when they are pricing the midgrade $0.30 higher.

It is funny that I posted that and the next story on the news was about the dropping prices - with the average at $2.62 nationwide (according to ABC news).

Quick Reply: mpg

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands