mouldings

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: mouldings

A question about installing the moldings: The instructions say to clean the area (they actually show you doing nearly the entire four doors ), with "3M Prep Solvent-70".

Does anyone know what this really is? I was just going to make sure I had a clean, wax-free area.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
A question about installing the moldings: The instructions say to clean the area (they actually show you doing nearly the entire four doors ), with "3M Prep Solvent-70".

Does anyone know what this really is? I was just going to make sure I had a clean, wax-free area.

Thanks.
No! just do the area where the mouldings go not a very big area, unnessary to do the whole door. do some measuring, then take masking tape and run the full length of both doors to get a straight line and your good to go. 20 min job at most.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronr
They are not stainless steel. They are made of aluminum.

You must have got the cheap Chinese knockoff fake ones. the good ones are stainless and cost a lot more, no aluminum, as a magnet will stick to mine. I hope you paid accordingly.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

3M Prep-70 in not legal in CA to sell. The CA Air Board is very strict here -- yet those idiots allowed oil companies to effectively kill their electric car legislation... sorry! I gave up trying to find it and purchased two, DupliColor "touch-up" paint prep wipes at AutoZone. Costs $3 and worked very well. The mouldings are a bit tricky to install, but easy with loads of patience. Saved me about $100 easily. They look SIMPLY AWESOME. The car is naked and exposed to Darth Vader SUV door damage without them! Anybody can install them.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Dazed and Confused

Magnets won't stick to stainless either, so it seem you just got the cheap steel ones.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

A magnet will stick to some grades of stainless steel. I have a set of stainless knives and a magnet will stick to it. On the otherhand, I have a stainless steel bowl that my wife got in Norway in 1964. It is 18/8 stainless. A magnet will not stick to that. Stainless steel that has no nickel in it like 18/0 is magnetic whereas stainless that has nickel in it like 18/8 or 18/10 is non magnetic. The magnetic type should be a little less expensive and is probably a little less corrosion resistant.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

Martin writes:They look SIMPLY AWESOME. The car is naked and exposed to Darth Vader SUV door damage without them! Anybody can install them.

Amento that!!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

I just got my set of mouldings and don't see any "directions" included. Aside from cleaning the doors are there any measurement tips given?
Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

My instructions were on the box, but you have to actually take apart the box completely to see where they hid them in the cardboard seam.

You need the instructions, since it has measurement details.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Skywagon, cna you post some pics?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands