More Motor and Less Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: More Motor and Less Engine?

I just use the regular method, it is hard to get right, of obtaining 'e-mode' and no I don't use neutral at all, nor have I in my TCH.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tedpark
J Based on my previous reading of various reviews and hype, I am very surprised at how short a time the electric motor is the sole propulsion in low-speed stop and go (i.e. crowded city driving). For me, I would like to see more motor and less engine in such circumstances. Does anybody know if that is "tunable"? Official service technician capability? 3rd party or hack?
Trade it for a Prius?

If it reacts like the Prius, stop and go isn't ideal for using EV over the ICE. Anything over minimal requested power will kick the ICE on as the computer program figures you plan to continue accelerating and it will save the battery for low demand periods. The moral: Don't stop and go, in fact, NEVER stop (safety in mind!). If you are coming to a line of cars at a stop sign, stop once and ONLY once - at the sign. You can EV to the sign if you don't close the gap to the last car too fast initially. With practice, you'll get good at estimating how quickly to slow down before you come to the end of the line. Ideally, you'll slow at a constant rate until you stop. If you miss this, at least make sure you can just 'idle' along behind the other cars rather than stopping once for each car in front of you. Who knows, you may be pissing off the people behind you, but what they don't realize is that you are improving THEIR mileage as well. Physics is physics - don't lose the kinetic energy you have built up.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

Hey guys, "OP" here -- this is turning into a great thread. Lots of informative and useful replies. I'm not ignoring or underappreciating your expertise and wisdom - have been lurking the whole time.

But here is some more fuel for the fire. There is a video on CNET from I think the 2006 NA Carshow where a writer for a prestigious trade rag is explaining the new TCH. He sort of tossed of the comment that the electric motor starts things off and at about 15 or 20 mph the engine kicks in and becomes primary. This is one of the things that prompted the original question. I have never gotten above 10mph before the ICE kicks in.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

If you want to stay in EV mode just drive around in reverse. Reverse just runs the MG2 in reverse with no ICE assist.
While a true statement is was meant to be taken in humorous vein.
I, personally, have found that you need to be VERY light on the accelerator to keep the TCH in EV mode sometimes. A lot has to do with other things like engine temperature, load, A/C, ECO mode, state of charge of the traction battery etc. I also found the cruise control does a pretty good job of keeping the car in EV mode below approx 42 mph.
EV mode and a lead foot don't mix.
J

Old 08-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep. We live in a hilly area (hence the 37 mpg average, despite really trying to get to 40!) and even mild hills cannot be ascended in EV mode. Flat areas can be traversed entirely in EV as long as pedal pressure is gentle enough, battery condition is high enough (which limits the distance), and speed stays below 42 mph. As other posters have noted, EV won't happen above 42 mph, even coasting downhill, in order to keep one of the MG's in operating rpm range. I also find the cruise control action to be gentle enough to do a nice job holding EV on flat roads.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 AM
WVGasGuy

I have never gotten above 10mph before the ICE kicks in.

Often when driving into town, if there is no one behind me I am able to accelerate from stop lights and signs w/o the ICE kicking in. Typically I drive at no more than 23-24 mph under these circumstances.. Last night though I did go from a Green charge to a Violet state of discharge driving through town so when I hit the flat 45 mph road out of town I had to do it all on ICE power with the FE in the 25 to 30 range as I drove and the ICE was charging the battery as well. I'm not sure I really gain that much in that situation as typically I can get in the 40 mpg range on that strech of road and it's a longer distance (shorter time) than driving around town on EV mode.

I don't think driving in EV mode as much as possible on certain routes is always the best for FE.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Enthusiast

I am a fool, sorry, e-mode hasn't been engaged over 70mph - I must read it wrong. I tried in vain last night to replicate it but was unable to.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tedpark
He sort of tossed of the comment that the electric motor starts things off and at about 15 or 20 mph the engine kicks in and becomes primary. This is one of the things that prompted the original question. I have never gotten above 10mph before the ICE kicks in.
I almost always give it enough gas for the ICE to kick in for acceleration with one exception. I work on a navy base with very strict speed limits. More than 10 over the speed limit and you're leaving your car outside the gate and walking or bicycling. Anyhow the speed limit goes 15, 25, 35, 25 15 until I reach my building. Since I accelerate in small increments I'm light on the gas and keep it in EV mode the whole way. But I coast to the base entrance and usually arrive with the SOC almost maxed out.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

OK here is a little tip I picked up during my Prius ownership days.
Forget trying to keep in EV mode from a stop unless your creeping along in stop and go traffic.
You actually want to use moderate (as in more than light) acceleration to just OVER your intended final speed and then remove your foot from the accelerator BRIEFLY and if under 42 mpg and good traction battery SOC you'll stand the best chance of dropping into EV Mode. After the car slows to your intended speed maintain in with gentle accelerator pressure.
Why moderate acceleration you ask? That sounds counter intelligent to good FE.
Well buy using more than light acceleration the THSD uses the MG2 to supplement the ICE and the ICE ends up being used less in moderate acceleration and MG2 more than with light acceleration. Make sense? There is a term for this technique but that escapes me at the moment.
You want to use that stored energy when possible and you use it by getting MG2 to kick in more aggressively.
Here is a little test to try yourself. Pick a lightly travelled road where you can accelerate from 0 to 40 and still pay attention to the instrument panel.
Accelerate from a dead stop such that the ICE just kicks in and note the consumption meter. My guess is it's around 20mpg give or take. Now gently and smoothly increase accelerator pressure to increase your rate of acceleration. The MPG remains the same or nearly the same or about 20mpg even though you are accelerating more and more aggressively. That's because the additional energy is coming from the MG2 and not the ICE so you get the increased acceleration from stored energy. This demo applies to moderate acceleration and not "flooring" it.
Another way to put it is the cost between light and moderate acceleraation below 42mph is nil.
J

Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
HSD Organic Interface

There is good reason Toyota called this system Hybrid Synergy.
Hybrid (mix of different things) Synergy (working together). This is not an electric car with gas engine backup. However I think e-mode is very cool and I definitely enjoy trying to drive in E-mode as much as possible. My tips:
  • Using A/C whether in ECO or not will make e-mode 10X harder to maintain.
  • Accelerating from stop in e-mode from stop is only useful downhill, behind a slow truck, in heavy traffic, or just for fun in zero traffic.
  • To get to e-mode cruise quickly, use ICE to accelerate up to "40mph" before letting off the pedal, even if all you want is 30mph or 35mph. I have found that more often only accelerating up to 30mph and letting off the pedal, the ICE stays running.
  • Sometimes I will accelerate from stop at a traffic light change in e-mode up to 5mph letting the traffic in front get ahead of me, then this gives me some room to quickly get up to 40mph with ICE to let it slide back to e-mode.

Quick Reply: More Motor and Less Engine?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands