More Motor and Less Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast
Red face More Motor and Less Engine?

Just got one of these puppies a few days ago. Joined forum today. Based on my previous reading of various reviews and hype, I am very surprised at how short a time the electric motor is the sole propulsion in low-speed stop and go (i.e. crowded city driving). For me, I would like to see more motor and less engine in such circumstances. Does anybody know if that is "tunable"? Official service technician capability? 3rd party or hack?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: More Motor and Less Engine?

Originally Posted by tedpark
Just got one of these puppies a few days ago. Joined forum today. Based on my previous reading of various reviews and hype, I am very surprised at how short a time the electric motor is the sole propulsion in low-speed stop and go (i.e. crowded city driving). For me, I would like to see more motor and less engine in such circumstances. Does anybody know if that is "tunable"? Official service technician capability? 3rd party or hack?
Initially, I had the same reaction. However, as I have learned the quirks of driving it, I have been able to see how to keep it in electric mode longer. I even drive it on occasion more than a mile in all electric.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: More Motor and Less Engine?

Originally Posted by tedpark
Probably just my imagination but it seems more prone to stay in EV mode with the system set to ECO ON.
J

Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

I've gotten mine to go e-mode at 70mph for about .5 of a mile on occasions - is always a joy to get that.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by pbanks
I've gotten mine to go e-mode at 70mph for about .5 of a mile on occasions - is always a joy to get that.
There is really no "true" EV mode above about 42 mph. By "True" EV I mean MG2 driving the car and the ICE not rotating. Above approx 42 mph the ICE must rotate to keep MG1 from overspeeding. Even thought the ICE is rotating the injectors may not be firing though.
J

Last edited by schmidtj; 08-22-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
There is really no "true" EV mode above about 42 mph. By "True" EV I mean MG1 driving the car and the ICE not rotating. Above approx 42 mph the ICE must rotate to keep MG1 from overspeeding. Even thought the ICE is rotating the injectors may not be firing though.
J
Hmmm, odd. Let me put it this way, I have several times gotten the needle to drop into e-mode at those speeds.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I mistyped my original message. MG2 would be driving the wheels but the ICE is still rotating at those speeds just not consuming fuel.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmm, odd. Let me put it this way, I have several times gotten the needle to drop into e-mode at those speeds.
How did you do this? I actually got it to do this once as well. I started in e-mode at the top of a hill and put it in neutral. I was at 65 for a while in e-mode. At the bottom of the hill I put it back in drive and had no problems.

BTW, I agree with the OP. I wish the car was more tunable for emode under 42mph.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

There is a car with more motor less engine, that's the Prius, and that balance is for better mileage but worse acceleration.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Must be a gauge display error, unless you are in neutral...

The E-mode indicator is usually meant to indicate the ICE is not spinning, but at that speed unless you're in neutral the ICE must spin to prevent damage to the generator (as schimidtj stated). The reason for this is that the motor, generator, and ICE are interconnected thru the power split device. The rotational speed of any 1 of these is dependant on the rpm of the other 2 devices. If your motor is spinning for a vehicle speed of 70mph and the ICE is not spinning at all, this would cause the generator to spin far past it's normal operating range. Forcing the ICE to spin, even if no power is needed from it, allows the generator to spin in it's safe operating range.

In neutral the generator is disconnected from the ICE (the reason the manual warns you not to leave in neutral as no battery charging will occur).

Quick Reply: More Motor and Less Engine?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands