Mileage...generally speaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:18 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mileage...generally speaking

Had my TCH since May 7th this year. Just turning 9,000 miles. During warm months, avg was lowest at 33, highest 37. On a trip a bit over 41. Since turning colder for the past 2 months, its under 30 mpg, normally ranging between 26.2 to 27.5. Driving terrain is a city with rollers averaging 4 to 5 tenths of a mile long with a grade of 4 to 6%, some flat land and naturally some downhills. Traffic lights, stop signs every mile or 2. Most of my driving mileage is in radius of 7 miles from home. Live in southern NE area. Do use cc all the time except in rain and snow. Soon as engine is up to normal temp, ECO mode is back on. Even now with weather turning wintery, still best mileage ever. With a v6 Toyota in previous winters some tanks would avg between 15 to 17 mpg.

This is a description using MFD, not calculated.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think you should try setting the temperature at around 68 - 70 F. You will be amazed at how comfortable it is in the cabin. Make sure to keep recirc OFF to prevent from fogging up the windshield.

I have noticed that at 68 - 70 F the TCH operates almost as if it is in the summer months with the engine shutting off at stops and easily going into E mode. It might be different for me cos' my commute is 43 miles one way daily.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast

Hey all,

We bought our TCH back in July and run around Houston, TX with it (as little driving as possible to conserve resources).

During the intense summer heat we were getting around 35-36 on average and after it cooled off in the fall we were approaching 38 most of the time with a mixture of highway and city.

I recently took the TCH to Austin and it just so happened that I needed to fill up just before returning to Houston. So I filled up and did my very best to drive conservatively on the way back to Houston while still maintaining 55-60mph to avoid getting rear ended. I was very happy to pull into the garage with a MPG of 43.8, our best yet and it was almost exclusively highway mileage.

Now for my question. Houston has BAD traffic and if we get stuck in stop and go traffic our mileage drops considerably. Any tips on how to avoid the horrible mileage from stop and go?

We try to coast as much as possible to avoid stand-still starts and that seems to help. I also try to leave as much room in front of us as possible to coast as long as possible between stops, but that frequently backfires because someone decides to cut in front of us to get "ahead". I then need to brake hard to avoid hitting them and need to start from a stop.

B.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamryDude1
Hey all,

Now for my question. Houston has BAD traffic and if we get stuck in stop and go traffic our mileage drops considerably. Any tips on how to avoid the horrible mileage from stop and go?

We try to coast as much as possible to avoid stand-still starts and that seems to help. I also try to leave as much room in front of us as possible to coast as long as possible between stops, but that frequently backfires because someone decides to cut in front of us to get "ahead". I then need to brake hard to avoid hitting them and need to start from a stop.

B.
If your TCH came with michelin energy tires, try running 38 to 40 psi cold in them and see if that helps. Try gentle takeoffs. If the mpg needle stays down to 60 or in the blue EV mode hold the accelerator steady. Thats only if the traffic does not speed up quickly. You probably already know under 42 miles per hour at times the engine may shut down and your in the EV mode. Thats usually on slight downgrades. Above 42 miles per hour you may see some battery assist while the engine is running.

One advantage you have. If the engine is at operating temperature and the batteries charged. The engine should shut down as you cost to a stop or while sitting still in any traffic jams.

My only other suggestion is to use a good brand of gasoline from this list. http://www.toptiergas.com/
click Retailers to see the list of brands.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-23-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
... My only other suggestion is to use a good brand of gasoline from this list. http://www.toptiergas.com/
click Retailers to see the list of brands.
How much does this help?
Is it worth the cost differential over 'no name' gas (typically 5-7% more expensive in my area)
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of a tank of 'toptier' gas against a tank of (I guess) 'bottomtier' gas to see how much of a difference it can make...or is it a cumulative effect that can't be judged over a short time frame?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
How much does this help?
Is it worth the cost differential over 'no name' gas (typically 5-7% more expensive in my area)
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of a tank of 'toptier' gas against a tank of (I guess) 'bottomtier' gas to see how much of a difference it can make...or is it a cumulative effect that can't be judged over a short time frame?
Six major automakers including Toyota paid millions to do this research. They tested all the popular brands of gasoline in America. They made it easy for me to select a known quality brand of gas. Note there are no Exxon/Mobile, Diamond Shamrock or Fina's listed. Don't even consider gas from Walmart. Talk about bottom tier. A few years ago I filled my 2003 Corolla with the Walmart gas. The engine was sluggish and hard to start. I was getting 41 mpg combined using Chevron, but it dropped to 38 with the Wally gas. No more discount gas for me.

Look around and find a low priced discount station. Then look for a major brand from the list within a few blocks or a mile or so away. The majors will compete with the discount station. Here were I live I buy Phillips 66 thats on the list. There is a Sav-A-Lot station only two blocks away. I filled the other day for $2.76 for 86 octane Phillips. Its 86 here in new mexico due to the 4400 foot elevation of the desert.

There are many Phillips 66 and Conoco stations here in town. It's the same gasoline and I have had good luck with it. Some of the high gas mileage fellows in the group use Shell. I would also, but the Shell station here is hard to get in and out of being on a major street.

Once you get that first oil change your gas mileage may improve. you might try 0W-20 full synthetic oil from Toyota. You can buy it from toyota dealer parts and take your car anywhere to have it put in. The oil filter is about $6 from the toyota dealer.

A toyota tech told me it might be best if I switched to the 0W oil. It is designed more for hybrids. This is due to the engine starting and stopping all the time. It allows the oil to get up into the valve train quicker. The other choice is the 5W-20 oil. Dino is ok but I have had really good luck with the synthetic. I went with the synthetic 0W at my first oil change.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-24-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:18 AM

I feel the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline test may have started back when GM would only use Chevron in their test vehicles for years. Chevron was popular due to it's Techron additive. I started using it in the late 80's. There was a station within a mile of my house. It was a year or so later they started advertising the Techron additive. This is to keep the injectors clean and valves from having deposites. About 3 years ago Shell announced they had a super clean gas. Not long after Phillips 66 advertised they had a gas that keeps the engine clean, increased gas mileage and etc.

I'm not sure why some of the majors stepped up with the better detergents. I'm glad they did. The Chevron was a good ways from where I live. The Phillps is next to the grocery store where we shop.

http://p66conoco76.conocophillips.co...lean/index.htm

http://www.shell.com/home/content/us...motorists.html

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/trusttech/

Old 12-24-2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
...try 0W-20 full synthetic oil from Toyota. You can buy it from toyota dealer parts and take your car anywhere to have it put in. The oil filter is about $6 from the toyota dealer...
Found this at the Toyota site
To maintain the quality of your Toyota, use the motor oil that is formulated specifically for your vehicle — Genuine Toyota Motor Oil. Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is a special combination of lube base stocks and a special additive package that provides your engine with optimum performance. The benefits of using Genuine Toyota Motor Oil are:
  • Available in 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 grades.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would be cautious about inflating the tires much more than 4-6 lbs over the recommened pressure (32) for the TCH. I tried 40 lbs and the ride was much stiffer and the handling was erratic. The maximum pressure the tire recommends is not necessarily the pressure you should be using. Toyota only recommends 32 and that is what you should go by, regardless of what's printed on the side of the tire. Yes.........you will probably get better mileage but less of the tire tread will actually be in contact with the road. That's what i would be concerned about most. I have been running with 36 psi and that seems to provide a good balance.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:00 PM

About 20 years ago I tried the factory recommended tire pressures in my new Oldsmobile. It did not steer like I wanted. I brought the tires up to 35 psi cold and I picked up some gas mileage and the steering was much better. After that I put 35 psi in all the other cars I had owned.

With the new TCH that first night I brought the new car home. I checked the tires and saw they had 40 psi in each tire. This was after they had cooled.

I had read some of the fellows here in the forums also run 40 just in the Michelin Energy tires. I don't think the Bridgestones run as smooth with the higher pressure. My TCH seems to ride good at 40 and traction seems ok. We don't get the snow and ice being in southern New Mexico.

I would consider a lower pressure except there is not much traffic here were we live. My speeds are usually 45 to 50 driving the eight miles to town and back. It's on a 4-lane, any traffic can easily pass if they want.

I figure if I lived and drove back in Dallas again I would loose about 10 mpg.

Quick Reply: Mileage...generally speaking

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands