Milage When Driving Fast

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Milage When Driving Fast

Originally Posted by RAS
I just registered for this site and I don't know if I can get this info from the database.

I want to know from the database, or hear from somebody who has a hybrid Camry, drives mostly highway, drives fast (75 to 80), and calculates mileage by actually recording how much gas is put in and doing the math.

I have owned a Prius since 2000 and it's lifetime mileage is 40.0. This is probably because I drive fast. I am wondering what mileage I would get if I bought a hybrid Camry instead. My guess is around 32, but I hope I am being pessimistic.

The Prius is great around town. It is not a highway car.

Thanks

I drove our new TCH from Houston, TX to Jacksonville, FL last December. I did about 80 to 95+ the majority of the way. There was a looonnng stretch of straight/empty road where I actually got it into triple digits and was really on it. Even though I was really pushing the car (which really moved when I needed it to) I still got about 33/34 mpg average. Considering I wasn't babying the car, I think that is pretty good mileage. If I'm that hard on my Tacoma I only get about 13 to 14 mpg.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm lovin' it

Originally Posted by twoquack
I'm looking HARD at buying a Camry Hybrid and test drove one yesterday. Not long enough to make a good call on what I can expect from MPG performance. My situation is unique in that I drive each week a round trip of 400 miles on the highway (200 one way) and it takes me 3 hours now, driving at 80 MPH. Yes, I have a great radar dectector. So my question is this, to you current owners, what has been your experience in driving a long distance at a constant 80 MPH? What can I really expect to get in MPG?
Thank you,
James Twoquack
i drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas monthly, on my last trip back to L.A. i got 44.5 mpg...i have never gotten below 39.0...i cruise at a constant 75 until i am on the 210 near the city...in vegas now, this trip here was 40.8...i will try and remember to post mpg on return to los angeles

Old 06-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twoquack
I'm looking HARD at buying a Camry Hybrid and test drove one yesterday. Not long enough to make a good call on what I can expect from MPG performance. My situation is unique in that I drive each week a round trip of 400 miles on the highway (200 one way) and it takes me 3 hours now, driving at 80 MPH. Yes, I have a great radar dectector. So my question is this, to you current owners, what has been your experience in driving a long distance at a constant 80 MPH? What can I really expect to get in MPG?
Thank you,
James Twoquack
Based on my experience around town and on all the long trips I've taken (Houston-FL, Houston-Mexico, Houston-Dallas, Houston-Austin) and my driving style (sounds similar to yours and I too have a great RD) I would say you can expect low to mid 30's.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:55 AM
old fart

camry now has 8400 miles on it and i have never seen 40 mpg on it on a trip till last sat.My last trip was about 400 miles and i was happy seeing 39.3 on the trip.
Sat i drove 250 miles 1/2 about 55 mpg and the other half about 71. I had 44.4 mpg and felt great.My prius,on a 450 mile trip would give me 46.8.At 250 miles and 44.4 i was at a stop sign and lots of traffic comming both ways on the road i was getting on.I wanted to see how much it would drop if i gave her hell from the stop sign getting into traffic ,so put her to the floor and I went down to 43.6 and stayed there for the next 100 miles driving at 65.
cant beat that with a stick.