Milage When Driving Fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Camry Freak
Default Re: Milage When Driving Fast

When I went up north (200+ miles each way) I was crusing at higher speeds and the average trip mpg was just under 41mpg. (50 degree weather over mostly flat terrain.

Let's just say that the speed limit was 65 mph and I made good time.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
RAS
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
You are not correct.
I just pulled out the manufacturer's window sticker on my '07 XLE-V6 and it says it should achieve between 26 and 36 mpg on the highway. It further says it should average between 18 and 26 mpg in the city. I guess I am lucky because my experience has been towards the top of the range in both categories. YMMV <grin>
Even @ 75 mph my XLE-V6 in 5th gear is just loafing along at about 1900 RPM. My TCH's FE starts tapering off about the time my XLE-V6 is just getting loosened up. At sub-highway speeds there is no contest the TCH wins by a landslide but on the road the gap narrows immensely and with the reserve power the XLE-V6 has makes XLE-V6 more of a pleasure to drive on highway trips with only a light FE penalty.

At 1900 RPM, my '95 V6 Camry is doing 55MPH. At 75 MPH, the RPM is over 2500. I will take a "test" ride in a '97 V6 and check the tachometer, but I would be amazed if the gearing is that much different between the model years. The cars have to weigh nearly the same. The '07 has a 3.5L vs. my 3.0L. But I will be amazed if the gearing is that much different. That alone would account for a big mileage difference.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

I'm looking HARD at buying a Camry Hybrid and test drove one yesterday. Not long enough to make a good call on what I can expect from MPG performance. My situation is unique in that I drive each week a round trip of 400 miles on the highway (200 one way) and it takes me 3 hours now, driving at 80 MPH. Yes, I have a great radar dectector. So my question is this, to you current owners, what has been your experience in driving a long distance at a constant 80 MPH? What can I really expect to get in MPG?
Thank you,
James Twoquack

Old 05-04-2007, 05:11 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

I rarely drive under 80MPH on the freeway unless some "traffic regulator" slows me down and I often get 33-34.9MPG.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

twoquack,

What do you drive now, and what mileage does it get?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

I have a coworker with an '07 SE V-6 who drives from Austin Texas to Columbus Texas daily and he "claims" he gets about 32 MPG. He is not a slow driver and I am sure he is driving between 75 and 85 most of the time.

I, on the other hand, drive from Houston Texas to Columbus Texas and try to stay between 65 and 70 MPH most of the way. I get around 35 to 40 MPG depending on the wind.

I just drove from Houston to Dallas and averaged 43 MPG going to Dallas with a tail wind and 38 MPG going from Dallas to Houston with a head wind. Both trips were driving about 65-70 MPH. I did get 46 MPG for about 75 miles on the trip to Dallas after refueling 75 miles out from Dallas.

I am sure the V-6 gets great mileage on the highway, and would be an excelent choice for a "fast" driver. Remember the '07 V-6 cars have a new transmission that is supposed to be very smart and adapts to your driving style.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAS
The '07 has a 3.5L vs. my 3.0L. But I will be amazed if the gearing is that much different. That alone would account for a big mileage difference.
The 07 also has a 6-speed Automatic. This makes a huge difference as evident by the engine's significantly lower rpm at highway speeds compared to yours.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

On our first long trip (500 miles each way) in our '07 Camry Hybrid, we got 37.6 mpg stopping once after four hours on the road, with another four hours after the stop. There was no traffic. The drive involved ascending from sea level to 7,000 ft., and then down to 4,500 ft above sea level. We were driving in the desert up and down hills was at 75 mph, and the temperature was HOT (above 90 F). On our way back, I thought we would get much better mpg because we would descend 7,000 ft. WRONG. There was no traffic and we drove (again) for four hours at a stretch before stopping for food. Again, it was hot. Even when driving down hills the gas engine was running. After we entered the Los Angeles area again and were driving at 65 mph with much cooler outside temperatures, we still were using the gas engine on downhill stretches of the road. Usually, the needle enters the 60 mpg area when driving down hills, but not this time. The engine never was above the midpoint on the "Engine Temperature" guage. Was this poor performance because we had driven so long without stepping on the brake? Was it because the outside temperature had been so hot during most of our drive? Was it because most of our drive was at speeds exceeding 75 mph? Overall, we still got 37.6 mpg on the entire trip, but I expected more. Does anyone have an answer?

Old 06-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I also find that driving slow doesn't necessarily give you good mileage. I think accelerating fast then maintaining speed conservatively gives me the best mileage. I know there's those pulse-glide techniques that can probably do better but I find this maximizes my mph/mental effort ratio.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Milage When Driving Fast

When I drive at a constant 75-80 MPH, I get 38ish MPG, maybe better if the terrain is flat.

Quick Reply: Milage When Driving Fast

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands