Messed up my car, anyone know how to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Messed up my car, anyone know how to fix it?

Folks.... that !@#$%&* Seat Belt noise thing finally broke me today as I cruised unbelted at 4 mph in the airport parking lot.

I got home, pulled the seat out and put a meter to the leads from the SB latch trying to ascertain NO or NC, momentary or what. Imagine my surprise to find a hall effect sensor in the GD thing. It's a freaking logic state shift... for the love of all that is holy.

Putting voltage across it fried something and now I have SRS and SB both flashing at me continuously.

Before I break anything else, will a CAN buss OBD2 tool reset these DTC's? Or did I really break it?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Messed up my car, anyone know how to fix it?

call the dealer?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
call the dealer?
I did. But they had just closed the service area until Monday.

Plus, it is just the principal of the matter. As a society we have decayed into such a litigious nanny-state that we are no longer to be trusted with full command authority of our personal vehicles.

20 years ago who could have predicted something as fantastic as an in-dash satellite nav system??

Who would have believed we would need to digitally "I AGREE" to a full-page hold-harmless disclaimer at every stinking start-up?!!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
Folks.... that !@#$%&* Seat Belt noise thing finally broke me today as I cruised unbelted at 4 miles per hour in the airport parking lot.

I got home, pulled the seat out and put a meter to the leads from the SB latch trying to ascertain NO or NC, momentary or what. Imagine my surprise to find a hall effect sensor in the GD thing. It's a freaking logic state shift... for the love of all that is holy.

Putting voltage across it fried something and now I have SRS and SB both flashing at me continuously.

Before I break anything else, will a CAN buss OBD2 tool reset these DTC's? Or did I really break it?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Five gallons of gas and a match fixes most problems lol!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 07:51 PM

That SB is flashing, would be kind of expected , but SRS light doesn't sound good. Usually meters would have 1.5v -5v, with short protect, how much voltage do you think you had on yours? I never played with TCH system but on my old Honda Accord "Supplemental Restrain System" light would usually not reset itself and it could mean $1000 computer replacement or at least some extra sensors for side airbags, not seat belt related. Either SRS computer can sense the seat belt sensor is fried, you fried SRS computer or you caused temporary SRS error, which will not clear by itself. I would start with disconnecting battery for few minutes and see if that will clear the error code. If the voltage on the meter was low, that should be the only problem. Otherwise play stupid and take it to the dealer, even code resetting requires Toyota scan tool which you don't have. But even disconnecting battery may not clear the code, even if there is no other problem at all. I remember there was some very convoluted way to reset SRS on my old Honda Accord without any tools, but I don't remember seeing anything in the TCH service manual, either way if you have one double check it. You should be able to drive the car with SRS light on, but I don't think any airbag will deploy in case of accident.
Now, if you want to drive without seat belt, fasten the seat belt and seat on it, just get the metal insert, disconnect the "noise maker", reprogram the computer to inhibit the sound alarm or keep on driving, it will go away after about 30 seconds or so, your approach was probably the most difficult of them all. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
That SB is flashing, would be kind of expected , but SRS light doesn't sound good. Usually meters would have 1.5v -5v, with short protect, how much voltage do you think you had on yours? I never played with TCH system but on my old Honda Accord "Supplemental Restrain System" light would usually not reset itself and it could mean $1000 computer replacement or at least some extra sensors for side airbags, not seat belt related. Either SRS computer can sense the seat belt sensor is fried, you fried SRS computer or you caused temporary SRS error, which will not clear by itself. I would start with disconnecting battery for few minutes and see if that will clear the error code. If the voltage on the meter was low, that should be the only problem. Otherwise play stupid and take it to the dealer, even code resetting requires Toyota scan tool which you don't have. But even disconnecting battery may not clear the code, even if there is no other problem at all. I remember there was some very convoluted way to reset SRS on my old Honda Accord without any tools, but I don't remember seeing anything in the TCH service manual, either way if you have one double check it. You should be able to drive the car with SRS light on, but I don't think any airbag will deploy in case of accident.
Now, if you want to drive without seat belt, fasten the seat belt and seat on it, just get the metal insert, disconnect the "noise maker", reprogram the computer to inhibit the sound alarm or keep on driving, it will go away after about 30 seconds or so, your approach was probably the most difficult of them all. Good luck.
Pete:
Thank you for the great information. I do remember seeing a neon yellow harness loom under the seat. Is there perhaps an accelerometer for the SRS system under the drivers seat? I'm beginning to think I might have tumbled it when I tipped the seat back for access.

I've had some luck resolving the codes. The SRS warning light seems to have reset itself after a few start cycles w/o the condition present that set it. Believe it or not my Chinese bootleg OBD scan tool found and reset the Seat Belt light. ~But~ The scan tool still shows MIL status is ON.

Strangeness. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 PM

One more... just to clarify, I would never under any circumstances drive my car on the highway without a seat belt. I always wear my seat belt. But when I am exiting a parking lot and need to get at my wallet, then put it away... where I won't exceed 5mph or so... having that crazy-making hideous noise is about enough to make me drive into a wall and thus it is dangerous in my opinion. Another example would be driving from the check-in desk at a hotel, back to the room, which I do frequently. Again, 30 seconds of driving at 5mph. The warning system is just too obtrusive and obnoxious.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by McGyver
One more... just to clarify, I would never under any circumstances drive my car on the highway without a seat belt. I always wear my seat belt. But when I am exiting a parking lot and need to get at my wallet, then put it away... where I won't exceed 5mph or so... having that crazy-making hideous noise is about enough to make me drive into a wall and thus it is dangerous in my opinion. Another example would be driving from the check-in desk at a hotel, back to the room, which I do frequently. Again, 30 seconds of driving at 5mph. The warning system is just too obtrusive and obnoxious.
Actually sound alarm shouldn't kick in until you exceed 12 MPH, but yes, it is annoying and older cars had some easy ways to disable the alarm and yes driving at highway speeds without seat belts is stupid, it could be totally somebody else's fault and you could really get hurt even in minor collision. Clearing SRS light is a good sign, worse comes to worse dealer should get it all fixed and it doesn't seem like permanent damage anyway.
Please tell me more or send private e-mail about this Chinese OBD scanner, my wife comes from China and if I know what it is, I should have no problem getting one. I've been looking for good scanner since I bought my car and can't find anything worth the money yet.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Malcontent

Check your fuses?

I blew a fuse when I was messing with retrofitting the dome light. Replaced it and the light worked again.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast

McGyver, did your dealer refuse to turn it OFF for you? In my case, I just paid them $100 and got it done. Seems like a less stressful route to me But you sound like you do have the smarts to DIY, so good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Messed up my car, anyone know how to fix it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands