Magic Number??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Magic Number??

I bought my 2007 TCH last September new. Throughout the fall and winter here in New England I consistantly averaged 33 - 35 mpg. At 8800 miles, my car has suddenly decided to give me an additional 4-6 mpg. I am watching my style of driving more and the weather is definately warmer, but I generally drive the same route in the same time, day after day. I've read numerous people comment on reaching a 'magic number'. Could this 'break-in' period really explain why I now have no problems consistantly hitting 38+mpg?? Is it likely to stabalize here or can I expect more wonderful 'gifts' in the future??

Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Magic Number??

I am a newer owner too. I got mine as the temps were just starting to warm up. I learned several things. 1. As the temperature rises so will you fuel efficiency. The vehicle doesn't take as long to warm up which allow the ICE to shut down quicker. 2. As you "learn" to drive the vehicle and utilize different tips\tricks your FE will go up. 3. You may end up changing your route which might not have as many hills or might cut down some distance you drive.

Since I bought my TCH about 70 days ago I have gone from a 34mpg tank up to a high of 41.6mpg. That's why my lifetime MPG in my sig is where it is. My spreadsheet actually shows that my lifetime is 38.9. I think I entered something wrong when I first signed up here at GH. My current tank is at 45.5mpg right now but the MFD can be off anywhere from .5mpg to 3mpg. I have also found that I can cut off 7 miles of my commute by changing my route on the return trip. I don't do this on the morning commute because it will take me slightly longer to get to work. I haven't checked what the FE difference is for each commute because I actually didn't think about doing it until just now. If I take the same route home as the one I take to work I can get stuck in some very heavy traffic most days.

My increase in FE is because of each of the items I have noted above. My engine was already past the break in period when I purchased it with 11209 miles.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by ptarpy
Throughout the fall and winter
Welcome to the warmer weather. It makes a big difference! I've been thru 2 winters and starting my 3rd summer now so I'm well used to the seasonal changes. Enjoy it but don't be alarmed when it slides back down next fall.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 PM
it's just a car...

I remember a post here saying that there's a different fuel blend at the pumps in summer (high mpg) and winter (low mpg).

Old 05-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
I remember a post here saying that there's a different fuel blend at the pumps in summer (high mpg) and winter (low mpg).
It's not only for hybrids.
Winter fuel, mandated by the EPA to reduce pollution, requires additives that lower the mileage (numerous web references including this). The requirement for refineries to change over blends and keep limited supplies is a contributing to the higher fuel costs, in general.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think my mileage increased after around the 5,000mi and then again around 7,500 to 8,500mi point. It does vary with temperature, as well. I just checked maunally and am averaging right at 42mpg. It has gone as high as 50 but only for a short time. It all depends on how much you use the ICE. So far........i have been pleased.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's absolutely due to the warmer weather. There may be a break-in effect as well but I have to say I have zero clue if or how much break-in has improved my mileage. Between weather changes, education, and just figuring things out, my FE has improved quite a bit, but the day I drove it home almost 2 years ago I was getting 40+ mpg. But that was mid-June for a good 30-45 minute drive, so good conditions for it. My first winter it got down as low as 30 mpg or lower, too. So you can see the temperature-based variation. I have a 2007 as well and I'm in the Boston area so you can take a look at my gas usage info if you want some insights as to what to expect for seasonal variations.