Lower resale for Nav units

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lower resale for Nav units

Originally Posted by WaltPA
You might find that one will soon be having to replace any non-GPS (actually non-e911) cell phones. The FCC has already banned activating them. Plus, analog service (again thanks to the FCC) will be going away in early 2008. I think that would be a 'double whammy' for the ol' StarTac's, no?

Also, while a US cell phone based Nav application might not work in Japan, I don't know very many people planning on driving over to Japan either. At least I don't. So, the built-in Nav system in my hybrid isn't going to do me much good in Japan either.
The Kyocera 7135 is e911 compliant while the StarTac is not. The 7168 is a digital StarTac though, so it will keep working even after analog service starts getting turned after Feb 18, 2008. They keep mailing me 'please upgrade' notices but they haven't required it (yet).
On a side note has AT&T/Cingular required everyone to get off TDMA phones yet?

I will admit that I am probably one of the few people here who will need a GPS that will work in Japan (at least for the time later this year when I'll be there). Though not having a cell phone based app will apply to anyone going to Europe or other locations where CDMA data services will not be available.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mio C310x

$189 with free shipping. Great features. Easy to use.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

since the TCH also includes the energy screen with minute by minute graphics of FE and the ability to look at FE over any period you want to test, that premise is invalid. I contend that I have increased my FE by at least 5% by using this screen. Over the life that I will keep the TCH, that will more than offset depreciation of the NAV system with fuel savings.[/quote]

The Canadian version of the TCH navigation system looks the same as the US version but does NOT include the energy screens. The Toyota navigation unit in is a dealer installed option that costs over C$3,000 (US$2,800) by the time you add in sales taxes! The lack of energy screens plus the poor navigation accuracy were the main reasons I asked the dealer to remove it and got a refund. Also the voice recognition feature is an embarrasing joke most of the time!
I now have a $650 portable Garmin unit which has several advantages, it is much more accurate, announces street names when coming up to a turn, includes maps for all of Europe and I can buy a map for Mexico. Also the annual map update cost is US$75 as compared with the several hundred dollars that Toyota charges!
I agree that it would be nice to have the unit properly installed without wires but it is hard to justify the cost of Toyota's version for the TCH, especially in Canada.

Last edited by Paulgw; 05-17-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by WaltPA
If you have the built-in nav stolen, it will be more than just the part-dept's retail cost for a replacement, you will have to deal with a broken window, broken dash trim, and cut wiring harnesses. Thieves who specialize in stealing factory "radios", don't take their time, nor are they careful.
Yes but if the built in unit is stolen it will be much more easy to flie an insurance claim to have it replaced.

If the thief breaks in to steal your portable (which might not be in the car but he saw the mount and the wires so thought it was) and brakes the window, you might not file a claim and just eat the cost for fear of increased insurance rates.

That and the fact that built-in units are not stolen as much as portable electronics in general. (I have had my truck broken into multiple times and had Ipods etc stolen. But, it is a Ford Superduty and you can break into the truck by looking at it wrong. The worst part is you don't realise it was broken into since the break in using the lock and it is not very noticable.)

However you look at it, I personally buy my cars equiped how I want them since I usually keep them until the value is about $1500 and at that value nobody really cares what options the car does or does not have.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever

...but now that I have the navigation I find I use it for places I know where they are just for the time estimates even though they are not really accurate.
I found that the default speeds used by the nav made for inaccurate estimates. I just want to make sure you know you can adjust these. Check your nav manual. I recall that there are three settings (probably residential, main street, and highway). Fixing these makes the arrival estimates much better. Fair warning, if you have kids, it takes all the fun out of the "how much longer until we get there" game.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

I have adjusted them, but being in Houston, those speeds can VARY A LOT so they are still general estimates.