Low city mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low city mileage

I wonder why the EPA has the city listed at a higher rate than highway, when all of your real life numbers seem to indicate the opposite... if the EPA numbers were the other way around (40 HW, 38 City), I would qualify for no sales tax on the purchase...

Old 07-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like you need to write to your state rep. What state is that anyway?

L

Originally Posted by jk110
I wonder why the EPA has the city listed at a higher rate than highway, when all of your real life numbers seem to indicate the opposite... if the EPA numbers were the other way around (40 HW, 38 City), I would qualify for no sales tax on the purchase...

Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk110
You answered your question when you say "real life". The big problem for EPA estimates is that they don't reflect real life driving. Actually with the TCH I'm getting numbers that more closely reflect the EPA numbers than any other car I've owned.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

So you do better in the city than on highway?

Originally Posted by Orcrone
You answered your question when you say "real life". The big problem for EPA estimates is that they don't reflect real life driving. Actually with the TCH I'm getting numbers that more closely reflect the EPA numbers than any other car I've owned.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:20 AM

No, I probably do a little better on the highway than "around town". But if my engine is warm (that's how EPA tests are done) I've had local trips (25 - 40 mph) where I get over 40 mpg. I'm just saying that my overall mileage is over 38 mpg which puts it right in line with the EPA estimates.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ahh, ok. Well to be fair I can drive around my block in just electric mode, with the engine warm of course. So technically I can get unlimited MPG sometimes!

No, I probably do a little better on the highway than "around town". But if my engine is warm (that's how EPA tests are done) I've had local trips (25 - 40 mph) where I get over 40 mpg. I'm just saying that my overall mileage is over 38 mpg which puts it right in line with the EPA estimates.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Luis:

I am in CT, and the law they have on the books currently is:

"Certain passenger cars utilizing hybrid technology. On and after October 1, 2004, and prior to October 1, 2008, the sale of any passenger car utilizing hybrid technology that has a United States Environmental Protection Agency estimated highway gasoline mileage rating of at least forty miles per gallon." is exempt from sales tax.
writing anyone in gov't willl not help, I'm sure. It's not stopping me from taking delivery when "my ship comes in"...

Last edited by jk110; 07-17-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by lem144
Ahh, ok. Well to be fair I can drive around my block in just electric mode, with the engine warm of course. So technically I can get unlimited MPG sometimes!
To be fair I can do the same. I'm referring to trips of about 8 - 10 miles where part of the time I'm on electric power while other parts of the trip I'm recharging the batteries.

Keep in mind when you're referring to highway you're probably thinking of hitting the interstate and maintaining a constant speed somewhere in the 55 - 75 mph range. If it's hot you're using the air conditioning.

When the EPA performs their highway tests they start with a warm engine, vary the speed from 45 to 60 mph, don't use A/C. So their highway test does not match what you probably consider highway driving.

Also, although the TCH gets 2 mpg more in the city than highway the Prius gets 9 mpg more (60 city, 51 highway).

Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Also, although the TCH gets 2 mpg more in the city than highway the Prius gets 9 mpg more (60 city, 51 highway).

True, and the Prius averages low-mid 40s, with rare occasions of over 60, and not in the City.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

After 150 miles of ownership I'm averaging less than 26mpg, and that's with driving with a very light touch on the gas and trying to run electric whenever possible. Hilly local terrain and air conditioner usage (it's been hitting 100F here lately) are my theories as to why my mileage is so disappointing.

Can anyone shed some light?

Quick Reply: Low city mileage

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands