Longer warranty in New York

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Longer warranty in New York

I read that TCHs bought in New York have a longer 150,000 mi. warranty on the batteries than other states. is this true? Can I purchase my TCH in New York and receive the longer warranty. I live in Maryland. Thank you for the help. (BTW, This is my first post. )

Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Longer warranty in New York

I read something similar about here in CA as well. Can anyone confirm that?

Old 06-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frankg
I read something similar about here in CA as well. Can anyone confirm that?
CA also extends the hybrid warranty to 10 years, 150k miles. I am not certain, but I believe the vehicle has to be titled/registered there and that it's not a simple matter of buying the hybrid there and taking it to your home location and still getting the extended warranty. A Californian or New Yorker will have to chime in, or someone else who's more knowledgeable about such things.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Regardless of where you buy it, your warranty will be dictated by where it's registered. Here's what's outlined in the warranty book:

Basic: 36/36,000 (months/miles)
Hybrid: 96/100,000 (this includes the hybrid battery!)
Powertrain: 60/60,000
Restraint: 60/60,000
Corrosion: 60/60,000

The warranty book specifically states California requirements which are typically longer for emissions control components (up to 180/150,000) but there is no mention of New York. I bought my TCH in Washington State, so there may be regional books (West Coast, East Coast, etc.)

Thanks.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

I tend to think the longer warranty would be where the car was purchased. If it was where the car was registered then whenever an owner relocated to CA/NY they would have the extra 50,000 mile warranty. It seems this would be a huge headache to Toyota since owners could register in one of these states after their own warranty expired. Seems like a legal issue as well. The 150,000 mile warranty I read was on the batteries. I am trying to get documentation on this.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM
World's First Hybrid

In all of the "CARB" states like CA, NY, MA all of the emissions components including the battery are warrantied for 15yr/150,000 miles provided that the vehicle is rated PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle). You would need to purchase an extended warranty to cover the rest of the stuff up to 75,000 or 100,000 miles I believe.

Good link: http://www.hybridcars.com/emissions.html
You need to be careful when purchasing a hybrid vehicle in a non "CARB" state and then registering it in a "CARB" state because it may not have the required emissions rating for your state.

hope this helped...

Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

So if I want the battery to be under warranty for 150,000 miles, I need to purchase the car in a "carb state". By definition, I will meet the emissions standards for all states and have a longer warranty on these specific components.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did some research online and found that page 6 of the 05 Prius warranty info shows that the hybrid battery is covered for 10 yr/150k miles under CA emission control warranty. Other emission control related parts are covered for 15yrs/150k miles. CA emission warranty also applies to Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. I can only assume that this will apply to the 06 Prius and the 07 Camry as well.

I found a couple articles that mention the 07 Camry having these extended warranty periods in the above mentioned states.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaCamry/
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...09/207013.html

Last edited by Bumzyman; 06-09-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here you go, right from Toyota's web site. This is footnote #16 under the build and price page for the Camry. You still only have one option "Combination #A" on the site when you try to build a hybrid and that includes 50 state emissions(FE). I believe this classifies the car as a SULEV which is NOT the same as PZEV, something to do with the evaporative emissions.

16 In certain areas, 4-cylinder automatic models are equipped as Partial Zero Emission Vehicles (PZEV). Equipment causes nominal reduction in horsepower (from 158 hp to 155 hp) and torque (from 161 lb.-ft. to 158 lb.-ft.). For Camry 4-cylinder models certified as Partial Zero Emission Vehicles (PZEV), all emissions components are covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, for performance or defect.

Also, to quote from the link that ralf_dog posted: "PZEV: Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle, compliant with the SULEV standard; additionally has near-zero evaporative emissions and a 15-year/150,000-mile warranty on its emission control equipment."

So make sure yours has the PZEV rating and not just a SULEV if your planning on ever moving to one of the states mentioned above. I'm glad I checked this stuff out now because I live in NJ but plan to buy my car over in PA where there are some big dealers that have higher allocations than the ones local to me.