Long Roadtrip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:48 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Long Roadtrip?

Sooty — The ICE can be "off" (even though it's still kept spinning by MG1) at speeds above 64 km/h in the so-called "fuel-cut" mode. No gasoline is being fed to the ICE when this occurs. This is done to prevent MG1 from over-spinning, and the needed electrical power comes from MG2. It can occur when coasting at higher speeds, and even with the cruise control "on" when one encounters downhill slopes or rolling hills. It can be detected by the fact that the Fuel Efficiency gauge then reads precisely 0 L/100 km (or 60 mpg in the US version). ScanGauge correctly shows that the ICE is still spinning (at ~1000 rpm), but incorrectly reports that fuel is still being consumed at ~1L/h.

camrydan — I've never experienced a "jerk" with the cruise control "on," but on rolling hills there certainly are major power surges from the ICE caused by suboptimal controller design. Perhaps these are what you're calling "jerks?"

Stan

Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I went on a 1300 mile road trip in June 2006. Average speed around 90mph got me 36mpg.

On a long road trip, it's hard for me to want to stay near 55-65 to optimize fuel economy.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by hamm3r
I went on a 1300 mile road trip in June 2006. Average speed around 90mph got me 36mpg. On a long road trip, it's hard for me to want to stay near 55-65 to optimize fuel economy.
90mph?!? And that was the "average"?!?

What amazes me the most from this post, however, is that your TCH still got 36mpg at that speed. Truly an amazing car...

Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, you bring up a good point. It probably was not "average" speed. It certainly was not average as per the computer, which I didn't check. Let's just say that it was a "common" speed.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 PM

Regarding "jerkiness", are you talking about forward surges, or side-to-side jerking of the steering wheel? If the latter, then this is a common problem for all 2007 Camry, and there is a TSB to address this in all 07 Toyota and Scion. Apparently, there is no consistency with how the factory aligned the car, so they will do an alignment for you for free under the TSB. You can see the TSB in this post:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...40&postcount=8

Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
I too am doing a road trip this weekend (first one in my TCH) of about 600 miles round trip. Since I am averaging about 38mpg in town, I am hoping to easily see the 40s. I will report what I get.
Well, I got 41.1, driving +5 on I-95 (when there was not a traffic jam)...not quite as good as I was hoping for. It was 95% highway, 5% city. Cruise was on while on the highway.

I analyzed the cruise behavior, and it did a pretty good job of keeping the speed constant, but I am convinced that I would get better mileage with it turned off.

While on the straight-flat parts of I-95, I was getting 41.6 mpg. I have about 2500 miles on the car, and the original oil, so I hope to get better when I get more miles on it, and change to 0w20 synthetic.

Here was I don't quite understand: some members report mileage in the mid-40s, and others in the low 40s, both while on the highway using cruise control and doing about 70mph. Why would there be a difference, assuming that on the average, all hills and valleys on roads (over time) equal out? I would think that cruise would eliminate driving style differences.

Also, for the first time, the MFD mpg was exactly equal to the computed mpg when I filled up. Usually it is about 5-7% or so off (too low). I wonder why?

Last edited by abward; 04-03-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by abward
Well, I got 41.1, driving +5 on I-95
While on the straight-flat parts of I-95, I was getting 41.6 mpg.
Here was I don't quite understand: some members report mileage in the mid-40s, and others in the low 40s, both while on the highway using cruise control and doing about 70mph. Why would there be a difference, assuming that on the average, all hills and valleys on roads (over time) equal out? I would think that cruise would eliminate driving style differences.
I'm not sure what the limit is on I-95, but my guess is you were doing 75mph. Getting 41mpg doing 75mpg is not bad at all. I got 42mpg driving 75mph using the AC between San Diego and Arizona in 100F heat a few weeks ago.

Hills, wind, rain, ambient air temperature, AC usage, number of passengers, road surface, tire pressure, driving style, etc all affect mileage. I drive I-15, mostly between 60 and 65mph, road surface is excellent - smoothed concrete, often in 70 to 80 degree temps. I've done as well as 46.5mpg, and as bad as 41mpg on the same road.