Listen to the almighty Haraldo

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Listen to the almighty Haraldo

When I was growing up we used supper and dinner interchangeably. I have never used soda. Only time I have used y'all is when I have traveled down to Georgia, Texas or Arkansas for work.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BobBass
More than you ever wanted to know about the Soda vs. Pop phenomenom:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/
As it says in the conclusion at the above site:
"People who say "Pop" are much, much cooler."

Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by mikecism
"Pop" is Midwestern - Michigan, etc.

In the true "West", we call it soda.

I remember at a gas station about 20 years ago somewhere in BFE Michigan and asking the guy where I could buy some soda. He gave me a odd look, and so I repeated it. He was "Uh? Not sure what you are talking about?" So I said, "You know, Coke, Pepsi, that sort of thing".

The guys eyes get wide and says "Oh! You mean POP!" (and he said it "Paaaawwwppp"

My buddy with me couldn't stop laughing. The rest of the trip is was "pop" this and "pop" that.
I had the exact opposite experience in Florida. Asked a waiter what kind of "pop" they had and we got a blank stare until my sister-in-law reminded us to say "soda". This thread has actually been a cultural treasure of information. Until I read this, I actually thought that "pop" was strictly a Canadian thing and all Americans said "soda". In Canada, "soda" means carbonated water.

Now, the next question is, at what point travelling south thru the US does the word "tea" go from meaning hot tea to ice tea. That has snagged us on occasion. Also, at what point does "ice tea" go from meaning a sweet lemony tea beverage to regular cold tea.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Listen to the almighty Haroldo

Also, at what point does "ice tea" go from meaning a sweet lemony tea beverage to regular cold tea.
Good question, and is it "ice" or "iced" tea?

Even more important, is it the Mighty "Haraldo" or "Haroldo?"

Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Listen to the almighty Haroldo

Originally Posted by BobBass
Good question, and is it "ice" or "iced" tea?

Even more important, is it the Mighty "Haraldo" or "Haroldo?"
Further...when did I become Mighty (or even almighty)?

Last edited by haroldo; 08-01-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
"Pop" is Midwestern - Michigan, etc.

In the true "West", we call it soda.

I remember at a gas station about 20 years ago somewhere in BFE Michigan and asking the guy where I could buy some soda. He gave me a odd look, and so I repeated it. He was "Uh? Not sure what you are talking about?" So I said, "You know, Coke, Pepsi, that sort of thing".

The guys eyes get wide and says "Oh! You mean POP!" (and he said it "Paaaawwwppp"

My buddy with me couldn't stop laughing. The rest of the trip is was "pop" this and "pop" that.
I remember a similar thing happening when I was a kid in Cleveland, but it was just the opposite. A neighbor's nephew came to visit from "Joisey" and went to the local drug store, sat down at the fountain and ordered a cherry soda. The girl promptly mixed seltzer water, cherry syrup and a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a glass and placed it in front of him. He wanted to know what it was, and she told him it was what he ordered, a cherry soda.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Haha, this conversation has gone well...There is of course one more twist to our never ending "carbiated beverage dilema." That is, in some southern locations, everything is 'coke.'

Given there is or was a Coke plan in GA? I am sure this was some for me brainwashing.

That's also cleaver with the cherry soda thing!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Nobody here drinks tonic or coke? Hehe. Convenience store around here oddly enough has (or had?) a sign saying "Tonic" over their sodas. My old roommate came from KY and was used to everything being coke. Order a drink in a restaurant, say you want a coke, they ask what kind, you say sprite...? lol. Just sounds a bit wacky to me, hehe. I'll stick with drinking soda.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Growing up at the beach on the west coast, we didn't really use Soda. Everything was and still is a Coke, it gets the people here in Ohio, especially when the only serve Pepsi

Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolshock1

Haraldo once warned me to always shut my sunroof because you never know what can get in.
Let me just add to that... Be sure you close your doors too, even when unloading multiple parcels.

You are lucky if water is all that got inside.

Quick Reply: Listen to the almighty Haraldo

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands