I've come over to the Green Side...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I've come over to the Green Side...

Originally Posted by BobBass
Mike,
I think Tideland Prius was referring specifically to my '04 XLE LTD which stickered ~$35K as I recall.

I just did a quick "build" for an '08 Sienna like mine and it's $38,550, considerably more than a loaded TCH.
My point is you can get a Sienna (decently equiped) with privacy glass cheaper than a TCH. So it's not a cost issue or "buy a Lexus/Mercedes" thing.

True, a maxed out Sienna is more than a maxed out Camry. (and boy, are they nice! ;-) )

Old 03-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The tint issue is a federal law that relates to the vehicle category the car is in. Example, SUVs, vans, minivans etc. can have darker "tint".... privacy glass...on rear windows (behind the front seat) from the factory, but regular passenger vehicles can not. When the Chrysler PT Cruiser first was in development, as an example, Chrysler wanted it to be classified as a "truck" for various reasons. The government finaly agreed, as the PT had the requisite cargo carrying abilities (fold down seats, hatch, etc....this meant it would be allowed to have privacy glass.

Last edited by jbollt; 03-23-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
The tint issue is a federal law that relates to the vehicle category the car is in. Example, SUVs, vans, minivans etc. can have darker "tint".... privacy glass...on rear windows (behind the front seat) from the factory, but regular passenger vehicles can not. When the Chrysler PT Cruiser first was in development, as an example, Chrysler wanted it to be classified as a "truck" for various reasons. The government finaly agreed, as the PT had the requisite cargo carrying abilities (fold down seats, hatch, etc....this meant it would be allowed to have privacy glass.
Interesting...and I thoguth the onyl reason the auto makers wanted to classify vehicles as trucks was to beat CAFE standards :-)

Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
FYI...the TCH do not keep the heat or as much UV out. Test it next to any other recent model car. They all are about the same.

Also, Sienna's with privacy/tint glass are CHEAPER than a TCH.
You're comparing dark tinted glass to jsut regular tinted glass.

FWIW, it keeps out the heat quite well considering it's not dark tinted. The tints on the regular cars are only 50-70% VLT. Your Sienna is probably 35%.

Sit in an older Camry (2001 and older) with HSEA and tell me that it's cooler than the TCH with HSEA.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
You're comparing dark tinted glass to jsut regular tinted glass.

FWIW, it keeps out the heat quite well considering it's not dark tinted. The tints on the regular cars are only 50-70% VLT. Your Sienna is probably 35%.

Sit in an older Camry (2001 and older) with HSEA and tell me that it's cooler than the TCH with HSEA.
Guess we need definition between "dark tint" and "regular" tint.

The factory Sienna tint is pretty dark.

HSEA, while better than regular glass, still are no match for decent film (of any grade).

I guess my point is the glass on the TCH is not that much different from other "regular" glass in other late model cars (Honda, Ford, Chevy, etc.) in terms of heat protection.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 AM

This year, it's 6-way power driver's seat with power lumbar (hence the "8-way that they advertise to make it seem like they're offering the same configuration as the old Camry but it's lacking the tilt function) and 4-way power passenger seat.
Are you referring to a specific model year? I have the 2007, and it most definitely has tilt on the driver's side. All told, it has: Up-Down, Front-Back, Tilt Up-Tilt Down, and Seat Back Up-Down. That's 8-way, still not counting the power lumbar In-Out.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
Are you referring to a specific model year? I have the 2007, and it most definitely has tilt on the driver's side. All told, it has: Up-Down, Front-Back, Tilt Up-Tilt Down, and Seat Back Up-Down. That's 8-way, still not counting the power lumbar In-Out.
hmmmm...I think it's only 6 way; no tilt up/down on the 2009... I guess I'll doublecheck.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 AM

2007+. I'm pretty sure it's 6-way plus lumbar to make it 8-way power.

Ours had manual lumbar so it's 10-way but only 8-way powered.

Originally Posted by mikecism
Guess we need definition between "dark tint" and "regular" tint.

The factory Sienna tint is pretty dark.

HSEA, while better than regular glass, still are no match for decent film (of any grade).

I guess my point is the glass on the TCH is not that much different from other "regular" glass in other late model cars (Honda, Ford, Chevy, etc.) in terms of heat protection.
Yeah we do cause most people think of the dark ones when one mentions "tinted glass".

Of course HSEA is no match for dark tints but as far as regular glass goes, it's pretty good compared to non-HSEA glass. Again, there are different levels within Toyota of HSEA glass as explained with my Camry/Prius.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 AM

2007+. I'm pretty sure it's 6-way plus lumbar to make it 8-way power.
All I can say is that on mine, I most definitely have tilt as well as up and down for the seat bottom. I just went back outside and checked. 8-way plus lumbar. On the passenger side, it is 4-way, lacking the up-down and tilt (and no lumbar).

Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM

All I can say is that on mine, I most definitely have tilt as well as up and down for the seat bottom. I just went back outside and checked. 8-way plus lumbar. On the passenger side, it is 4-way, lacking the up-down and tilt (and no lumbar).
Interesting. I shall take a look this weekend at the autoshow.

Isn't lumbar powered though? so.. wouldn't that be 10-way power?

Quick Reply: I've come over to the Green Side...

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands