Interior sound level comparison? New car time

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Interior sound level comparison? New car time

Originally Posted by jbollt
Just in case anyone was wondering, I bought an '09 Venza V6 today. Very quiet vehicle, handles fairly well for it's size, partially because of it's 20 inch, 50 series tires. It's no Hybrid, so I don't expect great mileage, but it does have 268 HP and a 6 speed sequential automatic.
Jeff,

Hope you like the Venza. I'd love to see a Venza Hybrid.

I test drove an Escape hybrid before deciding on the TCH and finally went for the MPG. At times I wish I had gone for the Escape's cargo space.

I would enjoy hearing your reasons for ruling out the Escape, and your impressions on the Escape vs. Venza comparison.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

John, I'd love to see a Venza Hybrid also...especially if it was a 4cyl Hybrid. If Toyota were to combine the new 2.7L 4 cyl currently offered in the Venza with the Hybrid technology, I'd be first in line!

Regarding the Escape, the first objection was the fact that the A/C won't run at stop lights when the ICE shuts off. This is absolutely required here in Tucson. Vehicles just get too hot sitting in the sun, and the lack of cooling at lights just won't cut it here. (I would imagine the same situation exists in Houston) Why Ford doesn't have an electrically driven A/C compressor is beyond me. Next objection was that it just looks and feels like a very dated platform, both in the ride, handling, noise suppression, and tactile feel of the interior. So they added a somewhat newer technology in the Hybrid drive train...still feels dated. And they want well over $32K for this?...with NAV it's over $35K!

I also drove the Fusion Hybrid prior to replacing our 07 TCH with the 09 TCH in July, and was suitably impressed. But why would I switch from a known quantity (Toyota), when I have been extremely happy with the last four or five I have owned. And again, Ford wants more $ for the Fusion than Toyota wants for the TCH. Factor in the unknown reliability and presumed lower resale factor of the Fords, and ....I bought two more Toyotas in the last 3 months.

The Venza is amazing. As quiet as the TCH, VERY powerful, very comfortable, handles nicely (firmer ride than TCH, which is a good thing) higher hip point (easier ingress and egress) and so far at about 300 miles, I am averaging 23mpg in town. Not Hybrid territory, granted. 3.5L V6 268 hp FWD (not the available AWD) 6 speed sequential shift automatic. EPA rated at 19/26. We are taking a road trip this weekend in the Venza, I will report back with highway mileage if anyone is interested.

After driving the TCH for over 3 years, it is very strange to push the start button on the dash and hear the starter motor cranking over in the Venza

Last edited by jbollt; 10-15-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added additonal Escape pricing info and Venza FWD info
Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt

Regarding the Escape, the first objection was the fact that the A/C won't run at stop lights when the ICE shuts off. This is absolutely required here in Tucson. Vehicles just get too hot sitting in the sun, and the lack of cooling at lights just won't cut it here. (I would imagine the same situation exists in Houston) Why Ford doesn't have an electrically driven A/C compressor is beyond me. Next objection was that it just looks and feels like a very dated platform, both in the ride, handling, noise suppression, and tactile feel of the interior. So they added a somewhat newer technology in the Hybrid drive train...still feels dated. And they want well over $32K for this?...with NAV it's over $35K! .............

Thanks, Jeff, for the insight.

For me, dated styling isn't always a negative, but I did not know about the lack of A/C with the ICE off. In our Houston summer weather, I'm sure that would have brought me to a near death experience.

Jack