An interesting theft deterrent system!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default An interesting theft deterrent system!

I was scanning the owner's manual and found this gem (I had to read it a few times to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks with me)...
The doors may unlock if a large amount of water splashes on the door handle, such as in the rain or a car wash. (The doors will automatically be locked after approximately 60 seconds if the doors are not opened or closed).
It's nice that they give potential car robbers a full minute to enter the car. I guess they don't want the thief to have to stand out in the rain getting wet waiting to break in.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: An interesting theft deterrent system!

I'm certain that is still only with the key in the vicinity of the car, such as when you are driving it and you get splashed with water. The door handle probably senses the excess water on the handle as a hand and unlocks.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Even if a thief could get in the car... then what? He isn't going to hot wire it. Also, pulling the car stereo out and mounting it in a lowered 1984 Olds Cutlass just doesn't seem right either.

Car theft ain't what it used to be. Cats (converters) are where it's at now.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by dledeaux
I'm certain that is still only with the key in the vicinity of the car, such as when you are driving it and you get splashed with water. The door handle probably senses the excess water on the handle as a hand and unlocks.
That's probably the case. I typed verbatim from the manual. I am not an expert on this topic, however, the manual made no reference to the key being near the car.

Originally Posted by McGyver
Even if a thief could get in the car... then what? He isn't going to hot wire it. Also, pulling the car stereo out and mounting it in a lowered 1984 Olds Cutlass just doesn't seem right either.

Car theft ain't what it used to be. Cats (converters) are where it's at now.
I know that, although I wouldn't want to find out what someone could do.

I posted this piece not because it is a major threat to these cars, it's not. Rather I though it amusing, that for a highly technologically intensive car, a simple thing like rain could activate its locking system.

...slightly off topic Reminds me a little bit of The Man in the White Suit. (I wont discuss the outcome since it is a bit of a movie spoler)

I wonder if people in rainy cities, like Seattle, will lose their theft deterrent system discounts off of their car insurance.

This was, and still is, a tongue in cheek criticism of the car.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by McGyver
... Cats (converters) are where it's at now.
Been reading about this, and am not happy.
I wonder if vehicles with more ground clearance (SUV's etc.) are more prone to theft than those with lower clearances (hopefully, TCHs, etc.). Seems logical that it the lower cars present a more difficult target.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Been reading about this, and am not happy.
I wonder if vehicles with more ground clearance (SUV's etc.) are more prone to theft than those with lower clearances (hopefully, TCHs, etc.). Seems logical that it the lower cars present a more difficult target.
Here in the Atlanta area the reported thefts are almost exclusively high ground clearance vehicles. My daughter's company had several vans targeted a few days ago. New car dealerships are popular targets as the bolts haven't corroded and frozen on the cat yet. It makes sense to me as criminals by nature are generally lazy scum, why would they jack up a TCH with that nice high riding Tundra sitting near by...?

Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 AM

... one more advantage of a TCH over a gas guzzling SUV!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
... one more advantage of a TCH over a gas guzzling SUV!
Especially since we have an extra special exhaust system.

About the door locking thing. My girlfriend's RAV does this. It is actually annoying because if you unlock the doors to put something inside and don't make it there in time they lock again. Since I don't have a key, this stinks and I have walk back and ask to have the doors unlocked again. It only does it if the doors were locked in the first place. If you leave them unlocked they stay unlocked.

In my area I wish the doors would auto lock after a few minutes if they were unlocked and the car was shut off without locking the doors. Of course I should just make sure my doors are locked instead of having technology do it for me. I just find it hard to make sure because if you lock them and then test either front door it unlocked (obviously when the FOB is near).

Old 04-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah you need the key near the door and you need a lotta water (like a hose or pour an entire bucket of water over the door handle) before it unlocks. Rain will not unlock it.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
In my area I wish the doors would auto lock after a few minutes if they were unlocked and the car was shut off without locking the doors. Of course I should just make sure my doors are locked instead of having technology do it for me. I just find it hard to make sure because if you lock them and then test either front door it unlocked (obviously when the FOB is near).
If you aren't sure if you locked the door, why don't you just press the button on the door rather than touching the handle. That way you will get the single beep that confirms that the doors are locked whether they are already locked or not.

Quick Reply: An interesting theft deterrent system!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands