Insurance company that always uses OEM parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Insurance company that always uses OEM parts?

Same here, but again they go by the guidlines and if insurance company X says, then the body shop can't do much about it.

In progressive case, they want you to go to THEIR body shops like you are going to get a good deal from them. Not only will they cut coners because they get allocated only so much time to do X, they will put on the cheapest part possible.

Whereas your body shop will have to fight the insurance adjuster every step of the way, it's a major pain for the body shop manager as well along with the time spent by yourself. IMO, if workmanship and parts don't matter, stick with progressive, you get what you pay for and that is it.

Last edited by livvie; 08-07-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Most insurers will not pay for all new OEM parts past a particular model year. Each carrier is different, and it's one of those things most DON'T put in their policy -- even in the fine print. The policy will have just some generic language like they will pay for "property damage", etc.

Once your car gets to be older (say 5+ years) using new vs. old parts can make the difference between repairing the damage and totalling the car.

That said, used OEM parts are okay on an older car. After all, if your car is a few years old, that's what your car consists of -- used parts. A good shop will make sure there is no corrosion, etc. and will prime and paint it just like a new part. The most important thing is the technician touching your car. Even good shops have techs who may do below par work.

Regarding somebody else's insurer who may be responsible for your damage -- really be careful. There are many substandard carriers out there and they will specify knock off parts and substandard repair methods.

My particular policy (with Erie Insurance) has a rider that will pay to replace my TCH with a new one if it is totalled within the first two years. Of course, I pay an extra premium ($69/year) for this replacement cost coverage. However, if my car is totalled I don't get hit with the depreciation, and that is the most during the first couple of years.

Some states have laws regarding parts. In my state, Indiana, it is the law that an insurer must give their policyholder the right to specify new OEM parts if the vehicle is 5 years old or newer. Thus, all carriers are playing by the same rules. That seems to be a pretty fair compromise.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

The last post had some relevant information that many people overlook when dealing with their insurance carrier.

State law overrides or dictates insurance company policy in many states, and more and more states are beefing up their insurance regulations due to abuse and financial irregularities.

For example, here in Texas, companies used to 'recommend' certain shops. And, yes, they were often found to be providing poor work and 'referral' fees (normal people call them kickbacks) to the insurance companies. Also, they used to be allowed to depreciate things like paint jobs when a total repaint was required. Both of those practicies are now illegal here. In fact, when I have ANY insurance claim, I get a form letter from my company (USAA) telling me that Texas law states I can use any shop I want to for my claim.

As for which shop to use, that can vary from market to market. Most top-quality shops around here use computer-generated reports, along with digital images sent directly to the company, to settle claims. The idea of having to wait for an adjuster for a few days is very, very antiquated in this business world of computerized everything.

As for new vs. OEM vs. used parts, I would suggest the difference isn't always in favor of OEM. A shop manager showed me a new fender for a high production car (Impala or Taurus or something similar) that was OEM and out of the box. The crease in the sheet metal didn't match the car. Why? According to the manager, the OEM parts are sometimes made on stamping dyes that are older and the bends and creases may not match a car with parts that were stamped out from a newer dye.

Also, if you can find a used part in your OEM color that is the same or close model year, the paint will fade almost the same as your car. If you only keep your car for 3-4 years, this isn't critical. But, if you keep your car for much longer periods of time, this can be very significant.

To me, the bottom line is the reputation of the shop and the shop's warranty. An old, well-established shop with a lifetime warranty on all their work that is not pro-rated or loaded with fine print is the way to go for me. Here in San Antonio, I have had very good luck with Caliber Collision Centers, but I don't know if they are all top notch.

Also, a good shop will always be willing to let you see their final products. The cars and trucks should look mint when finished; you shouldn't be able to tell in any way whatsoever that the car has been in an accident. If you see paint that doesn't match or any indication that tells you which part(s) of the car have been repaired, go to another shop.

One last trick that I have learned to get your car repaired quickly--always carry rental car coverage on your insurance policy. When your car goes in the shop, take the rental, even if you don't really need it. When a part is on backorder, so what if you are without your car for 2-4 weeks, at least to the insurance company? The insurance company has NO incentive to get your car fixed. But, if they are paying $20-40 PER DAY for every day your car is in the shop, it is a MIRACLE how fast those needed parts appear, even if they have to be overnighted in from across the country!

Now as for whether Progressive is a great company or just a mediocre company with a great marketing plan and cute TV commercials, there are tons and tons of comsumer magazines and Web sites that make it very easy to find out the answer to that question.

Bottom line is if your insurance company is pushing you to accept what you think is second-rate parts, work or installer, check with your state's insurance regulator to see what your options are. If the company keeps pressing, claiming what they are doing is legal, show them the law....and your attorney's business card!

Joe

Last edited by SanAntonio Joe; 07-05-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I owned a 2003 Toyota Corolla. A boy in a pickup caved in the front drivers side fender in a rain at a convenience store parking lot. We took it to a local popular body shop here in town. I ask if the parts will be new. He said yes on the car if it's two years old or less. They did a good job and was hard to tell other the a little over spray of white on the bottom body brace.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Some good points made by LEKYTECH and SanAntonio Joe, but again, some information is a bit off. Not bashing them, just clarifying what was written and reminding of what Joe noted...EACH STATE IS DIFFERENT AND THEIR RULES CAN VARY.

Speaking from 10 years in the claims field and 20 years in the industry, I can tell you that I have run across a host of this. Here are some truths:

1) Joe's comment on New vs. OEM is 99% right. The reason for the discrepancy in the crease is not an old dye, it is because OEM parts are obtained from different suppliers depending on when the get the part. While NAPA may be the factory supplier, if they are out of the part, another supplier will fill that order. MFG's often have contracts with 2-3 suppliers for parts and they can be off by small amounts. I would ALWAYS go with a used part painted the same color as my car. You have the best chance of a long lasting paint job on it.
2) NO COMPANY ALWAYS USES OEM PARTS! As stated, LKQ (Like Kind or Quality) parts are the preferred choice by most body shops and all Ins. Carriers. Recycled (used) parts are often chosen, not specified...that is up to the shop.
3) "New" cars are not usually defined. Rule of thumb for insurance companies is 1 model year, possibly two if there is low production.
4) Buying rental and using it when you don't need it is not the right way to go. The insurance company, in most cases, has no control over the body shop. The only times they do is if they are one of the Company's recommended, or prefered, body shops. If they are, the rental thing is irrelivant. Just call and bug your adjuster saying the shop can't justify the delay and you won't stand for it.
5) Not all aftermarket parts are second rate. Most parts meet the same standard the OEM parts do, but you have never heard of the supplier. Now, in mechanical parts, that is also true. However, there are some Chinese and Korean parts houses that do put out an inferior product that could be an issue. Brake rotors are the most common. Oddly enough, most people buy those same parts for their own maintenance and repairs, but won't allow it if used as a fix involving an Insurance Company.

As Ronald Regan once said, "Trust, but verify." Know the State Law on this. If you don't, ask you insurance agent or company to provide it to you...trust me, if they don't have it, they know know does.

I would be glad to help answer any insurance questions you may have.