I bought one!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I bought one!

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
And the interior controls aren't adequately lit, a problem the Prius also has. Like, the side mirror adjustment buttons are unlit, the door lock/unlock buttons are unlit, the window buttons are unlit except for some reason the word "AUTO" on the driver's-side window button, etc. Conversely, the radio and climate unit is too brightly lit, and while that can be adjusted (literally between 0% and 100%), the dashboard is at the same brightness, so dimming the console also dims the dashboard gauges by the same amount. You can even turn everything off completely, which is kind of neat though not very useful.
Well, I am very disappointed to hear this part! One thing I have always loved about my '99 Passat is that all the buttons are lit, even the power window buttons for the rear seat passengers. Side view mirror button, etc. The only thing VW forgot to light was the sunroof dial.

I wonder if there is any way in the TCH to have the brightness of the center console dimmed to a lower default (by a dealership)?

Old 05-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: I bought one!

Congrats on FINALLY getting a car that looks just like mine, CGameProgrammer!

By the way, if you haven't scraped them on a curb yet, I'll give you $500 to swap you for your chrome wheels!

Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Geek

I'd GLADLY do that, Steven! And I'm pretty sure I've never scraped them, although I have been known (especially in the HCH) to tire-rub against curbs when parallel parking. But hell, you can see the wheels for yourself and then we decide what to do. I noticed they look really similar to the normal wheels (8-spoke), just shiny and chrome. Suspiciously similar in fact, but they're definitely silver instead of nearly white like the aluminum wheels appear in pictures. Where shall we meet? Most anytime this 3-day weekend is good for me. Obviously we are right next to each other.

I had replaced the tires of my Civic Hybrid and I used Preston Tire & Wheel in La Mesa to do it. I suggest we use them to replace the wheels, OK?

This is what the wheels look like:
Close-up of wheel
Car with wheels

Last edited by CGameProgrammer; 05-26-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Geek

Recording this basically for my own reference until the database is up, but I've just finished my first tank. 517.6 miles over 14.653 gallons = 35.3 mpg. The display estimated a tank average of 36 mpg so it overestimated slightly. The mileage definitely increased towards the end of the tank as the car broke in... it'll be interesting to see what the next tank says.

The low-fuel alarm came on at 508 miles, so after about 14.4 gallons were used. The tank is 17.2 gallons so it really comes on early; you can drive alot further afterwards. Also, oddly, the "Distance to Empty" indicator said 40 miles remaining when the low-fuel alarm came on. If I had gone 30 more miles after refilling, to where it would probably hit 0, I would have used roughly 15.2 gallons, leaving two remaining... so it seems the distance-to-empty indicator uses a different "empty" mark than the low-fuel alarm. Odd.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:37 AM

I'll add my first tank data here, too, so it won't get lost until we get our mileage database.

VERY coincidentally, my first tank lasted 517 miles also. I nearly wet my pants when the cruising range went from 30 miles to ZERO in an instant, and I was miles from anywhere. Basically, I ruined my 37.5 MPG average when I did a climb from sea level to 5,000+ feet elevation on this first tank. The hill is our enemy. There is a BIG change in the fuel gauge's indicated fuel level when you are going uphill versus flat/downhill driving.

Anyway, tank two was filled on May 24, 2006, using 14.274 gallons, for a calculated MPG of 36.22 in 50/50 city/freeway driving with A/C always running, and too-frequent short trips. I'm optimistic about the second tank, as I can already see a big improvement thanks to smarter driving techniques.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 05-27-2006 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:36 PM

Did you sell or swap your chrome wheels? I mentioned them to another TCH owner who was interested in them, and gave him your screen name.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Geek

Yes, he contacted me, but he doesn't have his car yet. We'll probably swap when he gets it.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:06 AM

You're welcome.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Only downpoint is I let myself be ripped off. They gave me just $18500 for my car, which is low, but more importantly they added worthless $1300 chrome wheels to the TCH.
At least I'm happy with the car!

you might get better MPG with light aluminum wheels.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

About gauge/dash/control brightness:

Check this out- the TCH owner's manual states the brightess of the arcs around the fuel economy meter and speedometer change acording to the eco drive level: Level O won't illuminate, Level 3 illuminates most brightly, and so on. (Page 137 for the non-nav model.)

It's always plesant to know your car's margin of safety is based on your fuel effeciency. Geeze, maybe the headlights should follow the same logic: off if you're not getting top notch milage and blinding if you're doing great.

If anybody finds out how to dim the center console a bit more than the dash illumination, please post it since I agree it's a bit too bright.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: I bought one!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands