Hybrid tax credit bait and switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid tax credit bait and switch

Well Lars-ss - you are completely wrong!!! I had finished my taxes in Turbo tax except for the car - I updated today and it let me enter it.... Before I entered the vehicle I had a REFUND ALREADY at $1137 - I added the car and guess what - my refund jumped to $2300..... Looks like I only got half for some reason or other..... Strange....

Old 02-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RCFlyer
Well Lars-ss - you are completely wrong!!! I had finished my taxes in Turbo tax except for the car - I updated today and it let me enter it.... Before I entered the vehicle I had a REFUND ALREADY at $1137 - I added the car and guess what - my refund jumped to $2300..... Looks like I only got half for some reason or other..... Strange....
Did you get your car before or after September 30?

Old 02-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by RCFlyer
Same here. My refund increased by $1300, as I bought the car on 11/24/06, which was after the date the refund dropped to 50% of $2600, as shown on the form 8910 instructions.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

Not that it needs to be said (as the only confusion seems to be on lars-ss's part), but using TurboTax my refund changed from $400 to $3000 after applying the hybrid credit (where in my case my tax liability is well in excess of my refund amount).

I'll echo what's been said:
A non-refundable credit can absolutely increase your refund (it just won't ever increase it past the amount of your withholding).

Non-refundable has a very specific meaning when it comes to tax credits, and its not ok to pretend it means "can't contribute to a refund".

Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I got my car on August 30th - so I should have gotten the full - but for some reason didn't....

Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, after catching up on this thread, homey is glad he has an accountant!!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Angry Re: Hybrid tax credit bait and switch

Originally Posted by Chilly
You can't be serious. You are PO'ed because you have a zero tax liability and you expect the rest of us who owe taxes this year...
Originally Posted by ebjustin
it's funny how people that end up not paying any taxes still find a way to complain about taxes...
I just re-read your comments to make sure I wasn't being completely stupid, and I still think I am correct. I think the two of you are making a big assumption about my tax return, which is that I have zero tax liability. I never said this was my situation, although I never made that crystal clear (maybe I should write tax laws! ) All I said was that I was getting a huge refund, and I quoted the fine print of the tax credit which says your liability cannot be reduced below zero.

I have a lot of mortgage interest, so that creates a huge deduction on my taxable income. However, after my dedeuctions, I still owe just under $16k in federal taxes on my income before any credits, which is reported on line 46 of my 1040. TurboTax then says I only get $650 in hybrid credit, so my tax liability ends up as $15,296, which is reported on line 63 of my 1040. This is the tax I owe the IRS, so you cannot say that I am not paying taxes this year or that my tax liability is zero. I have withholdings of over $26k (I forgot to change my W-4 after I bought my house) so I am getting a refund of $10k+.

So if my tax liability was ~$16k before credits, why am I not allowed to take the full $2600? I'm going to keep researching and updating my TurboTax software, maybe there is a bug in TurboTax on how it is calculating credits.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:00 AM

As a famous golfer once said... "I am such a stupid!" After going over my 8910 very carefully, I finally noticed that I put a purchase and in-service date of Aug 1, 2007. Well, the TCH is only expected to get a 25% credit for that service date, so my credit was cut to $650. DOH! I fixed the date to 8/1/2006, and now I am getting the full $2600 credit.

So many people who have answered me are correct, but I will write two sentences that hopefully make this a bit more clear for others like me:

1) Your pre-credit tax liability (line 46 of your 1040) cannot go below $2600 if you want to receive the full credit, and your total tax liability (line 63) cannot go below $0.

2) If you have more withholdings than tax liability (meaning you get a refund), this has no bearing on your ability to take the tax credit.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
As a famous golfer once said... "I am such a stupid!" After going over my 8910 very carefully, I finally noticed that I put a purchase and in-service date of Aug 1, 2007. Well, the TCH is only expected to get a 25% credit for that service date, so my credit was cut to $650. DOH! I fixed the date to 8/1/2006, and now I am getting the full $2600 credit.

So many people who have answered me are correct, but I will write two sentences that hopefully make this a bit more clear for others like me:

1) Your pre-credit tax liability (line 46 of your 1040) cannot go below $2600 if you want to receive the full credit, and your total tax liability (line 63) cannot go below $0.

2) If you have more withholdings than tax liability (meaning you get a refund), this has no bearing on your ability to take the tax credit.

I'm glad it worked out for you

Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
I just re-read your comments to make sure I wasn't being completely stupid, and I still think I am correct. I think the two of you are making a big assumption about my tax return, which is that I have zero tax liability. I never said this was my situation, although I never made that crystal clear (maybe I should write tax laws! ) All I said was that I was getting a huge refund, and I quoted the fine print of the tax credit which says your liability cannot be reduced below zero.

I have a lot of mortgage interest, so that creates a huge deduction on my taxable income. However, after my dedeuctions, I still owe just under $16k in federal taxes on my income before any credits, which is reported on line 46 of my 1040. TurboTax then says I only get $650 in hybrid credit, so my tax liability ends up as $15,296, which is reported on line 63 of my 1040. This is the tax I owe the IRS, so you cannot say that I am not paying taxes this year or that my tax liability is zero. I have withholdings of over $26k (I forgot to change my W-4 after I bought my house) so I am getting a refund of $10k+.

So if my tax liability was ~$16k before credits, why am I not allowed to take the full $2600? I'm going to keep researching and updating my TurboTax software, maybe there is a bug in TurboTax on how it is calculating credits.
nevermind my previous comment, you are paying a bit of tax. You should adjust your withholdings for next year so the feds don't sit on you $10k all year. My goal with my withholdings is to break even at the end of the year.

Quick Reply: Hybrid tax credit bait and switch

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands