Hybrid System Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid System Failure

Originally Posted by ouzome
This happened to me today, except I didn't get any type of system failure warning. My "engine to tire" indicator showing if the car is charging, using gas, etc just showed a tire and an engine, but no arrow / line pointing and the car was moving!

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph with my 2008 TCH from Kentucky, and all of a sudden it felt like I was slowing down. It was a gradual slow down, so I would be surprised if the engine completely shut off, but before I knew it I was going 40 mph and the gas pedal was not responding. Semi trucks were just barely missing me as it took a while to remember where the hazards were. Luckily I came to my senses as I saw a bridge up ahead and quickly pulled over so the car wouldn't die on the bridge. I had about 6" of clearance from the cars and semis flying by and was freaking out so decided to start the car again, and it started!

Took it straight to the dealer and they could not find any error codes or repeat the problem during two 10 minutes test drives.

I did run over a deer (yes run over) a couple months ago which was $5000 worth of damage so was wondering if that could be the reason, but good (I guess) to see others have this problem.

I could have been ran over by a semi!
When I first got my TCH I had a similar problem. I did have a habit of keeping my right hand on the gear selector. At times I found the accelerator would be dead and do nothing as the car would coast down. The problem was, I unknowingly would move the selector to the Neutral position. This may not be your problem but the symptoms sound very similar. If it happens again, take a quick look next to the speedometer and see if it's still in the D position.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-17-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

I would like to add an alternate experience for those searching this problem as I did yesterday. If your hybrid runs out of gas- even the first hiccup going up hill- the check hybrid system warning, the check engine light and the red triangle with an exclamation point come on. I was able to drive 1.5 flat miles to the gas station (running on gas) without difficulty. As soon as it was full all lights went off and hybrid transition was smooth. I discussed it with my dealer but saved the embarrassment and expense of paying to be told I was out of gas! I think the hybrid warning is distracting if it is the conventional side that is not functioning.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

It was my dream purchase TCH.
But after reading this I afraid this choise...
How many owners has bad experience with Hybrid System?
How to fix this without official dealer here in Kazakhstan?

Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alex T-64
It was my dream purchase TCH.
But after reading this I afraid this choise...
How many owners has bad experience with Hybrid System?
How to fix this without official dealer here in Kazakhstan?
Most things can be fixed with a BFH and crecent wrench!

Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Because I'm Service Manager one of American Company here (in Kaz)
I decide to by simple XLE. Yes - MPG ~20. But - it's not so important ... Sorry(((

Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

I own a 2005 Prius with 173,000 miles. Last night I was driving from Ohio to NJ on PA's I-80 which inlcudes hundreds of miles of mostly downhill highway driving. During a long decline the battery greened up full on coasting energy, then the major malfunction triangle flashed, the error said Hybrid System Failure" and the car basically shut down so I coasted to the shoulder and shut everythign down.

The only thing unusual was the steep hill and the battery fill up based on coasting energy so I started up the engine and decided to avoid that. It is difficult to avoid filling up the batter with so much high speed downhill driving and for an hour or so all was fine. Then I got talking to my wife and forgot and on another downhill, this time in the dark, it happenned again. The battery went green and the car shut down... but i discovered it didnt shut down because we were a mile from a rest area and i was able to drive... on battery power alone,at 37mph, to the rest area. The computer wasnt giving us gas it was only giving battery power. After another shutdown the engine gave us gas again and I drove the final three hours without greening up the battery on coasting power which was very difficult and dangerous.

This sounds like schmidtj’s response to this thread in 2007 that the system got confused.

If it was my wife driving she wouldn’t have playing the guessing games that I played with ‘Sybil’ or ‘Christine’ or ‘Hal’ or whatever the computer is named and she would have been stranded on I-80 in 28 degree weather.

So folks - what the heck? Should I dump this thing?

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Sounds somewhat similar to what my '04 Prius (and others) experienced back in '04. Basically the system "thought" the ICE started and it really didn't. In other words the system got "confused". It was resolved with a flash update to one of the control modules. No wrench twisting involved. The car was driveable after powering it off and on again. The MIL condition had to be cleared by the dealer after the control module was reflashed.
Not saying this is the same issue, just sounds rather similar.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brendan
So folks - what the heck? Should I dump this thing?
It sounds strange. Were you running in B mode? It uses the engine to waste energy, and can be helpful to prevent overcharging. It still charges some though. The other way is to put the car in neutral and use your brakes. Brakes will heat up unless you go reasonably slow.

I guess the question is whether or not any permanent damage was done by overcharging the battery. Time will tell...

Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

thanks i was not driving in B mode and didnt think of driving in Nuetral. I am considering dumping the Prius. Do you think "over charging" might have triggered the confusion?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Brendan,

Make sure the ECU on your car has been flashed with all of the latest updates. It sounds like you have a control issue on the charging circuit but the dealer should be able to check the system and see if any TSB's have been issued for that problem and if a software update will fix it.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brendan
thanks i was not driving in B mode and didn't think of driving in Neutral. I am considering dumping the Prius. Do you think "over charging" might have triggered the confusion?
GeorgiaHybrid may have your best answer. It the flash didn't work you might consider a new Prius or Camry.

You can drive the Prius you have now in neutral, but keep a eye on the traction battery and don't let it get below about 30% charge. In neural (coasting) you can't accelerate at all. When in neutral the battery will not charge and your on manual brakes the regen is shut-off as well as the engine and EV mode.

Quick Reply: Hybrid System Failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands